The Cockpit - Gone for good.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
RobH

Post by RobH »

Just found out today that the Cockpit is closing after 20 years. Not strictly a pub, but sad to see a longstanding and popular gig venue disappear.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-29143038

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Yeah it's a real shame that, not been in a few years but (mis)spent a good portion of my teenage years in that place. They are opening another venue though, and presumably the larger Futuresound gigs will continue in the likes of Millennium Square. A blow to the local music scene all the same, especially for smaller bands. Long live the Brudenell
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I realised last night that I must have gone in there just aftyer it opened as i used to go in with a mate when he was at Leeds Uni in 1994 ,and I remember him telling me about this new place he had found under a railway arch. Only went a few times as we preferred a place with better beer as well as music.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I think I must have gone there not all that long after opening too, though I was in uni elsewhere.OF all the bands I saw there the only ones I can remember are Kenickie (because I remember trying to catch Lauren Laverne's eye) and Marillion (because I was a lot older and much more sober).I used to love the nights they did with "indie" in one room and "rock" in the other and various other splits giving the opportunity for people with more eclectic tastes and groups of people to go and enjoy a good evening of music.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I dont remember seeing any bands at the Cockpit, I went there to the odd night but bands I used to see would be either at the Leeds Uni's Riley Smith Hall, at the Poly Students Union hall or at the Duchess of York. I cant say I'll miss the place but its a shame to see a small dedicated venue disappear. A lot of gigs nowadays, especially the stuff at the Leeds area would have been right out of my price range as a teenager. I guess the Brudenell Social Club has been good for small upcoming bands - none of which I any longer know the names of! The last bands I saw at the Duchess were the (original) Wedding Present and then T-Rex - complete with Mickey Finn on bongos!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge