Best pub crawls in Leeds from the past

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
loinerchris

Post by loinerchris »

I know that the east street run was extremely popular during the 70s and 80s as is the otley road route now, I was just curious to other members particular favourite routes with in the city of leeds , a kind of way of re igniting the discussion of old Leeds pubs and the characters which frequented them! a topic that is of great interest to me.Fire awayChris.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

East End Park run, hands down winner for me, quite literally on some nights as i had ro almost crawl home to the Compton with no money for a bus or taxi.Town wasnt condusive/ attractive for a pub crawl (well certainly not to me) in the early 80's.Things changed, town became more attractive and was one of the reasons teh East End Park run went into decline.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

kango

Post by kango »

Many many moons ago we used to not so much crawl as a dash from the Middleton Arms at last orders to the Thorpe hotel which for some reason had an extra half hour more than the Arms drinking time. something to do with the Thorpe coming under Wakefield licensing laws I think, no doubt someone else can confirm or deny this.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

kango wrote: Many many moons ago we used to not so much crawl as a dash from the Middleton Arms at last orders to the Thorpe hotel which for some reason had an extra half hour more than the Arms drinking time. something to do with the Thorpe coming under Wakefield licensing laws I think, no doubt someone else can confirm or deny this. True kango. I am 65 & remember it well. The same was Tommy Wass in Leeds & the Woodman just down the road was in another district.

kango

Post by kango »

uncle mick wrote: kango wrote: Many many moons ago we used to not so much crawl as a dash from the Middleton Arms at last orders to the Thorpe hotel which for some reason had an extra half hour more than the Arms drinking time. something to do with the Thorpe coming under Wakefield licensing laws I think, no doubt someone else can confirm or deny this. True kango. I am 65 & remember it well. The same was Tommy Wass in Leeds & the Woodman just down the road was in another district. I'm glad another Miggy lad like myself remembers it as I did,I thought the old noggin was letting me down for a minute! The woodman must have come under Morley then?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

kango wrote: uncle mick wrote: kango wrote: Many many moons ago we used to not so much crawl as a dash from the Middleton Arms at last orders to the Thorpe hotel which for some reason had an extra half hour more than the Arms drinking time. something to do with the Thorpe coming under Wakefield licensing laws I think, no doubt someone else can confirm or deny this. True kango. I am 65 & remember it well. The same was Tommy Wass in Leeds & the Woodman just down the road was in another district. I'm glad another Miggy lad like myself remembers it as I did,I thought the old noggin was letting me down for a minute! The woodman must have come under Morley then? Probaly, though now it comes under a demolition ball im afraid
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The best pub crawls from the past will probably be those that we do not recall!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Way back in the 50's/early60's a lot of pub crawls were done in cars. I know, I know not to be recommended but nothing much was thought about it back in those days. Trips to country pubs in Wetherby, Otley and round and about the north of Leeds in general were the done thing on Fri/Sat/Sun in those days and no one gave drink-driving a second thought - the pub car-parks were always full. I suppose we should be ashamed of our behaviour but how much drug taking and driving goes on today?
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

All late 80's - mid 90's:The bar on the front of the Queens Hotel (I can't remember the name, but it was very handy for the bus stop and the prices were ridiculously cheap by 'town' standards...), then The Observatory (latterly Flares - which I think still holds the record for the longest trip to the toilets from the bar...), O'Reilly's, The Bond and the one opposite The Bond who's name also escapes me, occasionally Ostlers (but not often), then on to The Conservatory.Or...Hoagy's, The Three Legs, The Vine (or was it the other way round?), Big Lil's, Swans, The Guildford and end up in either Stumps or what became Circus Circus - there was another slightly ropey bar directly opposite the Art Gallery who's name also escapes me that we'd sometimes include depending how we were doing for time. This run sounds a bit rough looking back, but we never noticed it as such at the time.Or...Whitelocks, The Packhorse, The Angel, The Ship, Swans. This was typically a summer beer run as you invariably ended up drinking outside.I'm sure there were others, but that's all I can remember through the mists of time for now     
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

In the late 1980's a friend and I used to go around the pubs near Richmond Hill most of which are now demolished.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!