lost pub on vicar lane

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Anybody know the name of a pub (now demolished) that was next to the old ABC cinema at top of vicar lane?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Mossy wrote: Anybody know the name of a pub (now demolished) that was next to the old ABC cinema at top of vicar lane? I've put a message on the lost pubs thread - but if its a demolished pub you mean it must be the Black Swan[pic from leodis - and a belter at that!!]
Attachments
__TFMF_oacfoe45g0hlnqexh4erbn45_9420b6a2-5781-4698-b200-be90766c08f2_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_oacfoe45g0hlnqexh4erbn45_9420b6a2-5781-4698-b200-be90766c08f2_0_main.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Wouldn't the Black Swan have been further down Vicar Lane? It's the Headrow side of Lady Lane, so it must have stood about where Vicar Lane meets Eastgate now. Difficult to tell as quite a lot has changed around there.I've attached a pic from leodis of another possible, The Hope Inn. This stood at the corner of Hope Street and North Street. Hope Street is pretty much what got cleared to become York Road/Inner Ring Road. I think it's a candidate as it stands next to Sheepshanks House which after demolition this site became the Ritz built (1934?) which became the ABC. Sheepshanks Yard was used by the tramways dept until demolished in 1967 for the construction of the Inner Ring Road.So, the Hope Inn might have stood next to the ABC/Ritz between 1934 and 1967. Does that fit?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Yes - you're quite right Rikj - mea culpa!!I imagined The Black swan to be much further up Vicar Lane than it was . Further checking on Leodis reveals it was at no. 90 vicar Lane at the Junction with Nelson street. the pub, and indeed Nelson street were demolished in the early 1930s when the lower Headrow was widened and Eastgate created - the site of the pub is now intersected by the northern side of eastgate, if that makes sense.Ignore my references to the Black swan folks - looks like it was a fine pub though but!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.