forgotten pub opposite queens hotel

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
polo

Post by polo »

Yup ity looks like thats the best were gonna get ive done some reserarch on eyebright place before and was wondering why its missing from the tithe maps.

polo

Post by polo »

Well that's confused me even more now according to that thread the northern hotel wasn't knocked down and was still standing in the 70s i find that hard to believe the building must have been falling apart

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Don't forget that the maps are not always that accurate as they were often surveyed in the couple of years before the actual printed date of the map. City Square was completed in I think 1899 and the the post office (new one) was completed in 1896 so there will have been phased developments of knocking down the old cloth hall, old post office etc so the map that was printed will likely have been surveyed mid development of the square.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

LS1 wrote: Don't forget that the maps are not always that accurate as they were often surveyed in the couple of years before the actual printed date of the map. City Square was completed in I think 1899 and the the post office (new one) was completed in 1896 so there will have been phased developments of knocking down the old cloth hall, old post office etc so the map that was printed will likely have been surveyed mid development of the square. It appears City Square was "started" in 1894. This is from the Leeds Mercury 17th November 1894
Attachments
City Square.png
City Square.png (74.85 KiB) Viewed 2682 times

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

The other SL thread discusses the Great Northern Hotel/Wellesley Hotel, across the road and a bit further down Wellington St.

liits

Post by liits »

LS1 wrote: Don't forget that the maps are not always that accurate as they were often surveyed in the couple of years before the actual printed date of the map. ..... The same is true of the Trade Directories. Kelly's is the most accurate but can, on occasions, be up to two years adrift. Some of the other less long lived brands were regularly two years adrift and more! One in particular, Robinson's is wildly inaccurate. That’s why I always offer the comparison of the Directories with the Licensing Register.

polo

Post by polo »

My mistake i got the two confused makes sense nw thankyou