Black Bull, Lands Lane

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

Hi everyoneDoes anyone know anything about this pub? It used to stand approximately where Game is on Lands Lane according to an old map I have. One of my ancestors was its landlord in the 1851 census.I've never managed to track down any photos of it and would dearly love to. I think it was demolished in the 1890s during the Lands Lane improvements but it could have been later than this.Any information anyone has would be gratefully received.Thanks

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Hi wickedwitch, you'll be lucky to get any photos from that time but the pub seems to have had a presence in 1890. It was certainly there in 1850, the O.S. map shows it quite clearly. The 1890 map has a Black Bull yard but not necessarily the pub itself.Map section by kind permission of Yorkshire Indexers © 2003
Attachments
Black Bull 1890.png
Black Bull 1890.png (567.05 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

Thanks MartynThe pub is marked on an earlier map that the library copied for me but I don't have it to hand at the moment.I know I'm clutching at straws trying to find a photo but I had the vain and distant hope that some Victorian bloke with an interest in that new fangled photography business might have pointed his camera in the Black Bull's general direction. Unlikely but you never know!!Thanks againWW

Foustace

Post by Foustace »

There's an old victorian pub called the black bull on townstreet in horsforth. I dunno if its any correlation but i can get a picture if you like.