Fforde Greene pub.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
jim

Post by jim »

Preacher's Dream? Certainly do, D. F. and B. B. were friends of mine. I spent many a dinner-time at D. Fs various record emporia.

RUSTY

Post by RUSTY »

jeffn wrote: stevief wrote: .Also several postings on this site re-Fforde Grene from its heyday as the pride of Melbourne brewery to being a premier music venue to its sad decline and closure.. in the early eighties, didn't tetley's supply the fforde? Tetleys' certainly supplied it when I was there from 1978-1984 working downstairs in the Music Room
SR

Happymama

Post by Happymama »

I saw Def Lep there a long time ago, went in a white panel van with my next door best friend's big brother, best friend and others while my dad was on nights and my mum was up at Wooley Edge doing her bit for the defence of the country in the ROC (Thursday, then).Bit of a wriggle to get back in time for her finishing (10 pm finish plus car journey back - about the same time as from East Leeds, lol)Got in through the toilet window (two of us were underage).

simonm

Post by simonm »

Not only have i drunk in the FG, but have also been in the new store, it has become. Great shop is that place. The range of foods in the place is staggering. Nice to see it used constructivley, instead of an under funded run down CC or drug den.     
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Phips wrote: As well as the ones that went on to become well known, there were also some good local bands at the Fforde. Anyone remeber Gygafo (and what the acronym stood for), Jobe St Day, Eustachia Vye, Nirvana (not that one - but with the blind guitarist), 20 Flight Rock, Strife (Liverpool), Mickey's Monkeys, etc. And didn't Terry the landlord come from the Welcombe Inn at Tinshill? Often the weekday bands at the FG would then be on at the Staging Post, Haddon Hall, or perhaps Royal Park at the weekend.Anyone remeber Preachers Dream at the R Park? I certainly remember GYGAFO (get your gear and f*** off) ... think I saw them at either the Fairway or Staging Post

Precinct Boy

Post by Precinct Boy »

Phips wrote: As well as the ones that went on to become well known, there were also some good local bands at the Fforde. Anyone remeber Gygafo (and what the acronym stood for), Jobe St Day, Eustachia Vye, Nirvana (not that one - but with the blind guitarist), 20 Flight Rock, Strife (Liverpool), Mickey's Monkeys, etc. And didn't Terry the landlord come from the Welcombe Inn at Tinshill? Often the weekday bands at the FG would then be on at the Staging Post, Haddon Hall, or perhaps Royal Park at the weekend.Anyone remeber Preachers Dream at the R Park? Terry and Ida were at the Welcombe then moved on to the Miggy Arms before taking over the Fforde. I think he had the Compton before the Welcombe as well, sorted out some lively pubs in his time has Terry.

Phips

Post by Phips »

Sometimes they used to get foreign bands on - remember 'Little Bob Story' ? French.And some from London (almost as foriegn). Generation X didn't go down too well I recall. Nor The Pistols on their Anarchy tour... Remember those huge oversize glasses, the diaphragm electric pumps and the little aluminium ashtrays that used to stick to the tables with the previous night's ale? Music room opened at 8 prompt, so it was the Tap 'Oil if you arrived early (and were brave....)    

Tarkus

Post by Tarkus »

I spent a lot of Friday and Staurday nights at the Ffordey in the mid-to-late 70s and agree totally about the music room - saw some fabulous bands there in that period. One which I particularly remember was a London-based outfit named 'Remus Down Boulevard' (!) who did a great cover of Stay with me Baby (various artists, incl Janis Joplin). The singer was male, brilliant, and nailed this difficult number on each of the three occasions I saw them. Also saw the Pistols there but I was getting on a bit by '77 (19 years old!) so they didn't exactly float my boat.Some of the bigger names in the business started their solo careers at the Ffordey: I saw Brian Robertson (ex Thin Lizzy) with his band Wild Horses, and Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) with his own band. Sad to see it go, but will take many happy memories with me.

Phips

Post by Phips »

Sometimes there were Rock 'n' Roll nights there, and the place was taken over by Teds. Anyone remember Crazy Cavan & the Rythm Rockers? (still going), The Riot Rockers, or, on a less busy night, Namesake (though they were often at The Gaiety).

tippi

Post by tippi »

HiDoes anybody recall the 'waitress' who worked in the man o' war bar upstairs in the Fforde in the early to mid 80's when Terry and Ida had the pub. She was a 'older' (so it seemed when I was in my early twenties) lady, slim with long hair down to her waist which she always had in a long plait. We always called her Margot but I'm not sure if that was a nickname as she had the posture of an ex-ballerina!I always feel a bit guilty because we didn't always tip as we should have done (skint in those days - not much better now!)