Fforde Greene pub.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
magic

Post by magic »

What are your views on the legendary Fforde Greene public house been turned into a continental supermarket? I am sure this building could of been put to some better use for the local community.

stevief

Post by stevief »

There's an item in tonights EP about it.Also several postings on this site re-Fforde Grene from its heyday as the pride of Melbourne brewery to being a premier music venue to its sad decline and closure.By the way drapesy-it said they'd replaced all the windows,that's more Melbourne memorabilia in the bottom of a skip.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

To be fair I think the windows had long gone. The wonderful mosaics are still there, as far as I know anyway, but covered by signs for the new supermarket. there's apic of them before they were covered on the Melbourne signs thread.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

what a shame that is.the biggest pub in leeds in its heyday,and the only one to have its beer delivered on a daily basis.the cellars went all the way across roundhay road,but were shortned a bit when the yorkshire bank opened over the road.simple minds started thier musical life there as did the jam,mark knophler and many others.i remember people queueing right up the road from about 5.30 on sunday evenings,even though it did not open its doors until 7.00! oh happy days.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Firefox

Post by Firefox »

I realise this thread is probably no longer active - but thought I would add this comment anyhow.My opinion regards the Fforde Greene - Sad really - considering I was involved with the last refurbishment of this pub - I had the opportunity to signwrite and gild the huge front fascia board for the Fforde Greene.

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

ah well, at least we see leeds in the future, full of continental supermarkets. England used to be full of glory, just full of immigrants now, australia here i come, get away from this [edited for content] country!

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

magic wrote: What are your views on the legendary Fforde Greene public house been turned into a continental supermarket? I am sure this building could of been put to some better use for the local community. I think it's great and provides a fine facility for the local community.Harehills is a very cosmopolitan rea. The new super market supplies a wide range of food for those people.certainlly better than the glorified drug den that preceded it.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Rich87 wrote: ah well, at least we see leeds in the future, full of continental supermarkets. England used to be full of glory, just full of immigrants now, australia here i come, get away from this [edited for content] country! england has always been full of immigrants. It's something to be proud of.when you go to australia wont you be an immigrant?
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

stevief wrote: .Also several postings on this site re-Fforde Grene from its heyday as the pride of Melbourne brewery to being a premier music venue to its sad decline and closure.. in the early eighties, didn't tetley's supply the fforde?

carlosp

Post by carlosp »

Why not put heads together and stop the decay of our natural right of the local pub. i don't want wine bars or Mexican chilli houses. A pint and conversation will do me.After the smoking ban i feel it is only a matter of time before all local establishments will be lost forever.