Fforde Greene pub.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

I'm not saying that the smoking ban has caused the immediate downfall of the pub, but is has certainly contributed towards it and yes, the pub industry has been in freefall for quite a while, For example Punch Taverns, I can name several pubs where the manager has turned the fortunes of it around and increased profits, then Punch Taverns will double the rent because they want there slice of the cake aswell, Whats the manager going to think about that, he'll be thinking,why do I bother, Punch Taverns have alot to answer for, they are happy to shut the place down, sell the land for a handsome profit and say thank you very much.

Si

Post by Si »

Just being Devil's Advocate, but the smoking ban was implemented purely on "health" grounds, and not because it is an "anti-social habit." That is why there are no areas for smokers, or smoking and non-smoking pubs. A non-smoking barman would be seen to be discriminated against when looking for a job. As an afterthought, I think someone once said, "A no smoking area in a pub is like having a no pi$$ing area in a swimming pool."    

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Si wrote: Just being Devil's Advocate, but the smoking ban was implemented purely on health grounds, and not because it is an "anti-social habit." That is why there are no areas for smokers, or smoking and non-smoking pubs. A non-smoking barman would be seen to be discriminated against when looking for a job. As an afterthought, I think someone once said, "A no smoking area in a pub is like having a no pi$$ing area in a swimming pool."     surely the stink and the health hazard make it anti social.Your last comment is spot on.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

Back to the thread: I saw some great groups at the FG, although I missed The Sex Pistols.A small aside (which isn't about European history), I also saw a 'Battle of the Bands' at the Astoria over the road. The competition was won by an unknown group called Be Bop Deluxe. About 1973/4.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

For the record, my comment about you'd have to ban non-essential vehicle use if you are using those criteria was meant to be ironic. I'm one of the stinky smokers. But considerate with it!

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

LS1 wrote: oldleedsman wrote: Back to the thread: I saw some great groups at the FG, although I missed The Sex Pistols.A small aside (which isn't about European history), I also saw a 'Battle of the Bands' at the Astoria over the road. The competition was won by an unknown group called Be Bop Deluxe. About 1973/4. Annnnnnyyyyyyyyyyway! My popcorn has run out Phill.I wonder if this Sex Pistols gig was recorded. I quite like them and know there was alot of bootleg stuff recorded but never seen this.Id the old FForde Grene sign still there (or at least the stand) up the side on Harehills Lane, sure it was last time I looked. guess what occupies the site of the asroria now.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

You mean Astoria? Yeah, flats. they look so out of place!

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

LS1 wrote: You mean Astoria? Yeah, flats. they look so out of place! don't they justI'm working in harehills today, some great buildings and some nice people.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

What was the hole-in-the-wall Club nearby?