Fforde Greene pub.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Fforde Greene trivia:-Lez Dawson Show ?1970's he played a skit Comic Book Hero Superflop who by day was a toilet cleaner. Sure this was filmed at public loos to the front left side of pub on Easterly Rd.Ooh they don't make shows like that any more.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Jogon wrote: Fforde Greene trivia:-Lez Dawson Show ?1970's he played a skit Comic Book Hero Superflop who by day was a toilet cleaner. Sure this was filmed at public loos to the front left side of pub on Easterly Rd.Ooh they don't make shows like that any more. He had a series with YTV called Sez Lez (sic) in the 70's (John Cleese geust starred in an episode i think)so its highly likeley that the scene you refer to was at least somewhere in Leeds
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

salt 'n pepper wrote: I seem to have a recollection that Dire Straits played the Fforde Grene sometime during 1977. I first saw them on the TV programme hosted by Peter Cook, the name of which is currently eluding me. It was obvious that Sultans of Swing was going to be big. I am sure a mate of mine told me that they had appeared at the Fforde Grene.Hopefully someone can confirm this. The programme with Peter Cook was called Revolver. Nearly as good as Get It Together with Roy North.I never saw Dire Straits live, but I would be very surprised if they DIDN'T play the Fforde Grene at some stage.Interestingly (?), I saw a band called Straits supporting Ultravox (that is, the proper Ultravox led by John Foxx, not the later poptastic version with Midge Ure) at Unity Hall in Wakefield in August 1978. I guess there was no connection between Dire Straits and Straits, although there is now a band called The Straits, comprising former Dire Straits members minus Mark Knopfler, performing the old Dire Straits material live.
The older I get, the better I was.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Bruno wrote: salt 'n pepper wrote: I seem to have a recollection that Dire Straits played the Fforde Grene sometime during 1977. I first saw them on the TV programme hosted by Peter Cook, the name of which is currently eluding me. It was obvious that Sultans of Swing was going to be big. I am sure a mate of mine told me that they had appeared at the Fforde Grene.Hopefully someone can confirm this. The programme with Peter Cook was called Revolver. Nearly as good as Get It Together with Roy North.I never saw Dire Straits live, but I would be very surprised if they DIDN'T play the Fforde Grene at some stage.Interestingly (?), I saw a band called Straits supporting Ultravox (that is, the proper Ultravox led by John Foxx, not the later poptastic version with Midge Ure) at Unity Hall in Wakefield in August 1978. I guess there was no connection between Dire Straits and Straits, although there is now a band called The Straits, comprising former Dire Straits members minus Mark Knopfler, performing the old Dire Straits material live. I know you can't believe everything you read,details of Dire Straits at the Fforde Green herehttp://www.enotes.com/topic/Dire_Straits_tour

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Confirms what I said, I would be very surprised if Dire Straits didn't play the Fforde Grene at some stage of their rise to fame.
The older I get, the better I was.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Jogon wrote: Fforde Greene trivia:-Lez Dawson Show ?1970's he played a skit Comic Book Hero Superflop who by day was a toilet cleaner. Sure this was filmed at public loos to the front left side of pub on Easterly Rd.Ooh they don't make shows like that any more. I mentioned this in a post I did on Leeds on Screen, but mistakenly had Les as Captain Fantastic instead of Superflop. It was indeed the toilets in the front left of the Ffordey.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Posts moved here to prevent a lengthy duplicate thread forming.rochelleUser Location: LeedsJoined on: 04-Apr-2014 10:36:23Posted: 2 posts# Posted on: 04-Apr-2014 10:38:56.     Edit | Quote Hi,I am a student creating a film and a feature on the Fforde Grene pub as a music venue. Has anyone got any stories of the people that they saw at the pub. Or will anyone be willing to talk to me about it as a music venue. JogonUser Location: LawnswoodJoined on: 21-Dec-2011 17:58:33Posted: 2946 posts# Posted on: 04-Apr-2014 22:28:33.     Delete | Edit | Quote JogonUserLocation: LawnswoodSaw Pere Ubu there, guessing late 70's early 80s.Strange to listen to 'modern dance' now. John Martyn's Big Muff still seems fresh http://youtu.be/IwTRCwwjryg think he died recently. Sound v 70's    

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

Saw Daevid Allen (Planet Gong) - ex Gong/Soft Machine. 13/09/77.

Ken Strega

Re: Hello

Post by Ken Strega »

Hi Everyone. Ian in particular. Its Ken from the Strega here. Hope you are all well. Its been very interesting reading all you comments. Thanks for all the lively words. Anyway. Still going strong. Would love to hear from all who remember the Strega and the fun they had. Ken.

iansmithofotley

Re: Fforde Greene pub.

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Ken,

It's nice to hear from you. It's over thirty years since I was last in the Strega Club. If you were wondering what my connection with the club was - I worked at Chapeltown Police Station at various times throughout the 1970's and 1980's and I was in the Vice Squad from around 1980 until 1983. Personally, I never had any problems at the Strega and always enjoyed my visits there which, apart from 'vice', was usually in connection with checking that the liquor licensing laws were being adhered to. I always met many of my 'regular customers' there, in a social setting, and always got on well with them as I knew what they were up to and they knew what I was up to.

Ian