Fforde Greene pub.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
NoAngel

Post by NoAngel »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi everyone,I don't know what is meant by a 'hole in the wall' club. During the late 1970/80's the Strega Club was a small basement discotheque type club on Roundhay Road, opposite the Clock buildings and on the Chapeltown side of the road. At that time it was owned by a West Indian man called Kenny Abbisetti. The club was mainly frequented by West Indians. There was always a suspicion of illegal gambling taking place in another room for 'friends'. It also had a reputation for drugs and it was also frequented by many prostitutes and their pimps. It was a great place for listening to Reggae or Blues music. Personally, I always found it to be a friendly place, as was Kenny. I spent many happy hours there. I lost touch with the place after 1982 so I do not know what happened to it after that.Ian. Old thread I know. The strega was always owned by the same owner. It closed down in around 1993/94 when the owner retired. The place itself didn't reopen as a club or anything and now the building above it (as it was in a basement) is no longer there, so not sure what it would look like inside now.

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Could anyone post where the Fforde Green pub is on Google Maps?It's over 30 years since I was there and I just can't picture where it's located.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

In that case you probably need Leodis. Google Roundhay Road and head out of town.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

PC - Dublin wrote: Could anyone post where the Fforde Green pub is on Google Maps?It's over 30 years since I was there and I just can't picture where it's located. At the bottom of Easterly Road with the Clock Cinema as was on the opposite side.http://snipurl.com/v1e5rHarehills Lane runs up the other side.    
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Thanks Tyke bhoy. Brings back memories!!    

Hollie

Post by Hollie »

I remember seeing either Muddy Waters or BB King there. Sorry but i get these two mixed up.I also remember seeing Alexis Corner and The Beat.The Astoria is now demolished and is a Health Club.I saw the Blues Band, a Great Guitarist who I can't remember his name. It became a Disco renowned for Grab A Grannie Night.
xxx

RUSTY

Post by RUSTY »

My name is Shane and I frequented the 'Fordey' from 1978-1984. I'd meet up with Dave (Wigfalls), Big Graham, Mick, Big Lizzy, Irish Jon, Jack and his sister Carol, Bob/Alison, Captain and loads of others, upstairs in the pool room. Down to the Music Room around 7.00 pm to watch groups such as Gygafo, Strife, Lion, Alex Harvey, Roy Wood, Violinski and many others. My girlfriend in 1980ish was a glass collector called Melanie and I do remember helping her finish then going over the road with staff to a nightclub, was that the Strega?Moved to Bramley in 1984 and started going to the Railway at Rodley until it got 'familised', moved on to the Abbey with Brian/Barbara/Neil & Bob until the smoking ban.
SR

MaidenLUFC

Post by MaidenLUFC »

I think it's a shame that it's been turned into a continental supermarket, but it epitomises the change of the area. It would've been nicer for it to be turned into a community centre of some kind, given it's location.I'd hardly consider Harehills to be "cosmopolitan". That's actually a hilarious description! I'm not going to add my description because it's too truthful and might offend people...

DOBBO

Post by DOBBO »

I have many happy memories of drinking in ''The man of war bar'' in the Fforde but that was over 40 years ago.Times have and are changing and the old cetainties have gone- life has and is changing and will not come back. Sorry to sound a depressing note but thats life for better or worse- we have lost and will not recover nice local pubs or good local corner shops or handy local cinemas unless there is a major sea change in what we are prepared to pay for and USE !!!
All knowledge is important

Phips

Post by Phips »

As well as the ones that went on to become well known, there were also some good local bands at the Fforde. Anyone remeber Gygafo (and what the acronym stood for), Jobe St Day, Eustachia Vye, Nirvana (not that one - but with the blind guitarist), 20 Flight Rock, Strife (Liverpool), Mickey's Monkeys, etc. And didn't Terry the landlord come from the Welcombe Inn at Tinshill? Often the weekday bands at the FG would then be on at the Staging Post, Haddon Hall, or perhaps Royal Park at the weekend.Anyone remeber Preachers Dream at the R Park?