Fforde Greene pub.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
magic

Post by magic »

Hats Off wrote: Is that Irish club 'Delanies' still there, it wasn't far from Kwik Save ? I used to visit 'Delaneys' regularly on a Friday & Saturday nights in the late 90's. It was a great little night club, just the place when you could not be bothered to travel into town.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Si wrote: Thanks, Ian. The International rings a bell, but I have a feeling that where we went was an illegal drinking den - friendly, though, and great music. there was an international club at the bottom of lum lane in Bradford as well. I wonder if it was owned by the same peoplevery lairy, but some great times
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Samson

Post by Samson »

Going back a few posts (sorry)The Astoria Ballroom has been demolished or changed??(I was there in 1967 for a 'do' )
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Samson wrote: Going back a few posts (sorry)The Astoria Ballroom has been demolished or changed??(I was there in 1967 for a 'do' ) demolished and replaced by an apartment buiulding
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Samson

Post by Samson »

Oh LordyThanks for the info mate.
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

stonesey

Post by stonesey »

Can't we start a thread of pubs that are closing now, in our time? In the last year/few months/weeks in the Beeston Hunslet Holbeck area the follwing have shut down:The Kings Arms at Holbeck, Spotted Cow also Holbeck, Malvern Beeston Road, Golden Lion bottom of Beeston Road(may be temporary) The Engine Hunslet -bottom of Old Run Road, The Railway, Balm Road,Hunslet to name but a few. Is it the smoking ban, the escalating cost of a pint, the brewery chain increasing the rent (usually after they've charged low one for 6 months to entice a new manager), the general cost of living increasing & more money needed for essential items -like FOOD ! Or a combination of all these. People don't socialize as much, probably for some of the above reasons.I'm in a darts & dommys team,& time and again we are having to play our away matches at home because our opponents pub has closed down. The Hunslet League will be under threat at this rate, or the season will be much shorter as various pubs close down & teams disband.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Used to go to the Strega on Sunday afternoons when the pubs were shut. Didn't they sell you a lolly pop and you had then legally purchased food and could then buy ale?Also does anyone remember the clubs of Chapletown in the 80's / 90's? I remember Sonny's (just a house done up like a ramshackle club and The Twighlight Zone whoch moved about a bit. Curried goat at 6 in the morning, them were the days.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Used to go to the Strega on Sunday afternoons when the pubs were shut. Didn't they sell you a lolly pop and you had then legally purchased food and could then buy ale?Also does anyone remember the clubs of Chapletown in the 80's / 90's? I remember Sonny's (just a house done up like a ramshackle club and The Twighlight Zone whoch moved about a bit. Curried goat at 6 in the morning, them were the days. sonnys was legendry in the eary 90's club scene,i remember new years eve 1992 the place was rammed wall to wall,i have never in my life seen as many people packed into one small seller in my life.It go that bad that sonny closed the outside wooden gates and started charging people 2 quid just to get in the yard
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Sponny

Post by Sponny »

I used to work behind the bar at the FG when I was in the 6th form at the City of Leeds School. I only lived across the road from the pub and it was great and convenient for me.I remember Terry and Ida Robbins who were the landlord and landlady respectively - Terry was an ex Welsh international rugby player so no one messed about with him!The pub acquired a reputation as being "rough" but in the two years I worked there I only saw one fight so it was an unjustified reputation.Friday and Saturday nights were just brilliant ..... I'd finish working in the Man o War bar and then start my next shift in the music room downstairs. Some great rock bands played there and I have some pictures of many of them ... I used to take them on one gig and get some of them signed when the band came back a few weeks later! Who remembers these - Limelight, Saxon, Ian Gillan Band, Wild Stallions, Tygers of Pan Tang, Roy Harper ... .the list goes on. .... what a fantastic place. The area's changed a lot since the late 70s and I'm still living in Leeds not a million miles from the FG and it is a shame to see a once great pub standing empty for so long (but then it was taken over by the scum drug dealers after the Gaiety was knocked down). At least a supermarket is useful to some of the community .... Yesterday I saw that the Shoulder of Mutton on Potternewton Lane was boarded up too ..... the same fate seems to have befallen that once great watering hole too.Let's have a better balance between wine bars and good old boozers with live music again :-)

Sponny

Post by Sponny »

I used to work behind the bar at the FG when I was in the 6th form at the City of Leeds School. I only lived across the road from the pub and it was great and convenient for me.I remember Terry and Ida Robbins who were the landlord and landlady respectively - Terry was an ex Welsh international rugby player so no one messed about with him!The pub acquired a reputation as being "rough" but in the two years I worked there I only saw one fight so it was an unjustified reputation.Friday and Saturday nights were just brilliant ..... I'd finish working in the Man o War bar and then start my next shift in the music room downstairs. Some great rock bands played there and I have some pictures of many of them ... I used to take them on one gig and get some of them signed when the band came back a few weeks later! Who remembers these - Limelight, Saxon, Ian Gillan Band, Wild Stallions, Tygers of Pan Tang, Roy Harper ... .the list goes on. .... what a fantastic place. The area's changed a lot since the late 70s and I'm still living in Leeds not a million miles from the FG and it is a shame to see a once great pub standing empty for so long (but then it was taken over by the scum drug dealers after the Gaiety was knocked down). At least a supermarket is useful to some of the community .... Yesterday I saw that the Shoulder of Mutton on Potternewton Lane was boarded up too ..... the same fate seems to have befallen that once great watering hole too.Let's have a better balance between wine bars and good old boozers with live music again :-)