The Garden Gate

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Nice though these are, it's use 'em or lose 'em.I had a pint there in the 1980's.I'd not want to sign my life away to a lease to try and run it, I don't expect a Brewery fund a relic on the off chance I might drive over there and spend £5. If they did own it (or I did) and could make £450,000 by selling it for flats or demolition then I would.Not being provocative, just my honest view.I know some folks on here are good at finding out stuff from Planning applications - might yield the answer.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

The Garden Gate is a Listed building so won't be altered but as you say these boozers days are numbered, its a sad fact of life that our old pubs have had it. Down here in the South West its the same story as they are closing and being sold off for redevelopment. Tonight I shall be having a drink in the Union in Cheltenham and it is hanging on by its shirt tails. the Landlord told me this 200 year old building is worth about a Million on the property market so who can blame the Breweries for cashing in as these buildings are empty most of the week. as a person who spent a great deal of time ( and money) in Leeds pubs I do feel sad seeing them boarded up or being used for other purposes.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

RobH wrote: uncle mick wrote: In my eyes there is something amiss here, the Garden Gate closed circa 7th November 2013 "for repairs"http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 224789It's still closed circa 6 months later, to me it's the best example of a Victorian/ Edwardian pub in LeedsI thought if anyone that's interested could email [email protected] & we might get some response Sorry about my little rant but we must not lose places like these I've contacted them about it, but haven't received a reply. I notice that the GG is no longer listed on their website as one of their pubs, although that might be just because it is not currently open. I also contacted them circa a month a ago & haven't received a reply

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

uncle mick wrote: RobH wrote: uncle mick wrote: In my eyes there is something amiss here, the Garden Gate closed circa 7th November 2013 "for repairs"http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 224789It's still closed circa 6 months later, to me it's the best example of a Victorian/ Edwardian pub in LeedsI thought if anyone that's interested could email [email protected] & we might get some response Sorry about my little rant but we must not lose places like these I've contacted them about it, but haven't received a reply. I notice that the GG is no longer listed on their website as one of their pubs, although that might be just because it is not currently open. I also contacted them circa a month a ago & haven't received a reply I've just emailed them - will let you know if a response if forthcoming, although I'm not holding my breath...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Now that Tetleys have closed the Brewery maybe the Adelphi pub, Dock St. might come under threat from developers.

tilly

Post by tilly »

j.c.d. wrote: Now that Tetleys have closed the Brewery maybe the Adelphi pub, Dock St. might come under threat from developers. I can just see them knocking it down and putting a concrete box in its place,it would not be the first time nor the last.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

raveydavey wrote: uncle mick wrote: RobH wrote: uncle mick wrote: In my eyes there is something amiss here, the Garden Gate closed circa 7th November 2013 "for repairs"http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 224789It's still closed circa 6 months later, to me it's the best example of a Victorian/ Edwardian pub in LeedsI thought if anyone that's interested could email [email protected] & we might get some response Sorry about my little rant but we must not lose places like these I've contacted them about it, but haven't received a reply. I notice that the GG is no longer listed on their website as one of their pubs, although that might be just because it is not currently open. I also contacted them circa a month a ago & haven't received a reply I've just emailed them - will let you know if a response if forthcoming, although I'm not holding my breath... I got a reply this morning form the Leeds Brewery - the GG is 'being refurbished' and they are hopefully looking to re-open it 'in June' but will announce a definite date in due course.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

tilly wrote: j.c.d. wrote: Now that Tetleys have closed the Brewery maybe the Adelphi pub, Dock St. might come under threat from developers. I can just see them knocking it down and putting a concrete box in its place,it would not be the first time nor the last. I have spent many happy hours in both the Garden Gate and the Adelphi for me the latter is so much more of a traditional English pub. though the Bar in the "Gate" is a bit special. it would be sad if either were altered / demolished.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Very good news - The Garden Gate has reopened!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

drapesy wrote: Very good news - The Garden Gate has reopened! Good news indeed. I am glad I have been proved wrong, closed for circa 8 months