Rodley

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
stevief

Post by stevief »

Many thanks rikj and everyone else.Some cracking pictures of Kirkstall power station including the coal pulverising plant which was at the side of the canal,the coal dust was transported to the power station by means of an overhead conveyor,clearly shown. The inlet for coal barges forms part of the new marina.

Rodley_Girl

Post by Rodley_Girl »

Thanks for the pictures rijk - it certainly sheds a bit of light on why The Railway is named so. I always wondered why it wasn't called something after the canal with it being so close. As for Farbank thanks for that tale of the landlord. Having worked there (and I've stayed there overnight too) you tend to hear stories of the past landlords. My older friend did actually tell me about the landlord that hung himself but me and my friends were always led to believe it was a bit of a "tall tale". There is a hook in the ceiling just infront of the fireplace and my old flatmate, after one too many stella's, would say thats where he hung himself... (oh dear!)Another story I heard was that a previous landlord also walked down to the river and drowned himself... it's not sounding too good is it all these tales of landlords committing suicide. I do believe there is some sort of curse on that place - the landlords don't tend to have it easy!!!Has anyone got any old pictures of the pub or any of the other pubs in Rodley?Over and out - Rodley_Girl

farbank

Post by farbank »

Re- landlords committing hari-kiri. It,s more likely cos' they lived at Rodley.!

Rodley_Girl

Post by Rodley_Girl »

Oi!

stevief

Post by stevief »

Rodley_Girl wrote: Hi stevief - there was once a station at Rodley. My friend (who shall remain nameless) has lived in Rodley for many years and told me once that there was a station but I believe, if my memory serves me, that this closed in the 60's. I'm not sure if there is still a station there - I might have a walk down there with my dog over the weekend. On the subject of "Lost Pubs" I believe that what is now Paris Restaurant was once a pub called The Stanhope. Maybe Drapsey might be able to shed more light if he is reading this. I'll try track down my friend and pick his brain more about this... I've heard of this'Stanhope' and it has caused some confusion in the past because there used to be ANOTHER pub called the Stanhope at the end of Fink Hill in Horsforth,less than a mile up the ring road.

Rodley_Girl

Post by Rodley_Girl »

I'll see if I can track my friend down this weekend and ask him about the Stanhope again - hopefully I'll be able to add a bit more to this thread with his help. I've tried looking up some old pic's but can't manage to find anything on www.leodis.net - Google isn't bringing much up either...Drapesy, if you're out there we could do with your wisdom - I'm hoping you'll know something! It is a lost pub after-all...Many Thanks,Rodley_Girl

farbank

Post by farbank »

Wasn't that other pub/restaurant called 'The StanSFIELD '.?

farbank

Post by farbank »

No,! I maybe confusing it with the one on Apperley Ln.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

farbank wrote: Wasn't that other pub/restaurant called 'The StanSFIELD '.? No - it was 'Stanhope'Stevief is quite right there used to be 2 pubs called 'Stanhope' - the 'Stanhope Hotel' (now the Paris) and the 'Stanhope Arms' on Fink Hill. the Latter became the 'Eleventh Earl' and is still refferred to as such by most people although its actual name now is (ludicrously) 'Toby Carvery'I Knew someone who worked at the Stanhope Arms when the 2 pubs shared the Stanhope name and apparently they were always getting the other pubs post and vice versa.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Rodley_Girl

Post by Rodley_Girl »

Thanks for confirming Drapesy! Well I didn't realise there were 2 "Stanhopes" but thats interesting! I still call The Eleventh Earl by that name - Toby Carvery doesn't quite sound right. I think everyone still calls it The Eleventh Earl round here.So have you got any tales of The Railway? I can't manage to track down no old pics - let me know if you can help. It would be much appreciated!Thanks,Rodley_Girl