Rodley

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Rodley_Girl

Post by Rodley_Girl »

Hi All. I've been reading this web-site for a few weeks now after a friend recommended - it's great and I'm hooked!I've only lived in Rodley for 2 years now but it's definately my home. Has anyone got interesting stories to share or old pics?I used to work at The Railway and I'm particularly interested in the history of that place.If anyone can help it would be great to hear from you!Many Thanks

stevief

Post by stevief »

Welcome Rodley girl.Hope you get as much out of this site as I do!The Railway is an occasional stop-off point of mine during a canal walk.By the way,if you scare easily stay away from the Ghosts andGoblins thread(Terror on the road).

Rodley_Girl

Post by Rodley_Girl »

Hi stevief. I've read that thread - the "Terror on the Road" one got me... eek! I used to live in the apartments that are opposite The Railway and on an evening when the fog used to come in it was quite eerie!

stevief

Post by stevief »

This Rodley thread has got me thinking.There appears to be some sort of railway station building near Sandoz and I wonder if there was a stop at one time.It's difficult to be certain 'cos it's all a bit of a blur when you're on the Skipton train.I've looked on leodis but there's no mention.Over to phill d and rikj...

Rodley_Girl

Post by Rodley_Girl »

Hi stevief - there was once a station at Rodley. My friend (who shall remain nameless) has lived in Rodley for many years and told me once that there was a station but I believe, if my memory serves me, that this closed in the 60's. I'm not sure if there is still a station there - I might have a walk down there with my dog over the weekend. On the subject of "Lost Pubs" I believe that what is now Paris Restaurant was once a pub called The Stanhope. Maybe Drapsey might be able to shed more light if he is reading this. I'll try track down my friend and pick his brain more about this...

AliceCake

Post by AliceCake »

I remember going to the Stanhope with my mum when I was a kid to the folk club. It is the same buildling as Paris restaurant (where I worked for about two nights - bloody awful place!). That is all...

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Hi all!! There was a station near Sandoz years ago, i belive it was called Horsforth Featherbank Station but i can't be sure. I remember reading about it in a book on the history of Horsforth. I'll see if my mam still has the book, she still lives in Horsforth!
Love a Landrover

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

There was indeed a station near Rodley but it was known at different times as Calverley and then Calverley & Rodley. It was closed on March 22 1965 along with most of the other stations between Leeds City/Bradford Forster Square and Skipton. One or two survived and one or two have reopened. The line opened in 1846 but I do not know whether the station opened in the same year or not

farbank

Post by farbank »

Cretainly can confirm all previous postings. As young lads about town, me and my mates often travelled to the Stanhope by local train from Leeds City Stn.The proprietor was famous for his 'theme' nights. He would have Chinese or other tropical evenings as the inspiration. All the pub would be done out in whatever decor went with the ' theme'.And the Railway had one of the most outspoken landlords I have ever known. A toff came in one day off the canal. He had tied up his canal cruiser nearby. Complete with his ' captains cap' on, he said to mine host, '' aftenoon landlord, what a fine establishment you keep here. A pint of your very best, and a sherry for my lady ''.The landlord looked at him, face never altering, and replied, ''F***off, and take your ship somewhere else ''. He just hated all things pretentious. Sometimes he must have hated himself. Because a few months later, the poor sod hung himself in the pub.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Yes, it was Calverley and Rodley Station, and there was a lot more there than you can see today.Apart from Leodis, there is the superb David Hey collection of railway photographs. A look there and here's a gem of a pic of the station and carriage sidings as they were.http://www.davidheyscollection.com/USER ... 0s.jpgThat looks like Sandoz at the top right, and the extant railway buildings by the bridge. The white building has gone altogether as have the gasometers! And signal boxes etc. If you look on google earth you can see how it all fitted together.Another pic, again from the David Hey Collection shows a broadly similar view from the diesel age.http://www.davidheyscollection.com/USER ... py.jpgI've walked around there before and never realised how much was there in the railway age. If you walk along the river out of Leeds then one of the 2 bridges over the river is disused and you can walk over it. The bridges are of quite an odd construction, girders on round metal supports. There's also a nice little pedestrian subway under the lines. Pic of the bridges here.And to play fair, here's a link to the David Hey Collection homepage:http://www.davidheyscollection.com/Hope this all brings back some memories for someone.