Real Ale lovers take note!!

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Cardiarms wrote: Maybe not but that's what it sells, says it right on the tin. True enough Cardiarms, but I hope that the same Trading Standards honesty doesn't apply to the repulsively named "Slug and lettuce" establishments
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Carol

Post by Carol »

simonm wrote: Sorry Stevief, Was the manager on the Albion in the 90's. long after the death of the scarboroughArry, As far as I am aware the albion was a walkers house. Tetley's bought the walkers brewery and "swallowed" into their growing empire, but still sold the brew for quite some years after. However, nowadays you can plainly see the old glass walkers signage outside that Tetley's have covered for years with some god awfull wooden tets signs! Some building restoration work in the late 70 uncovered the glass sign and it was decided by the brewery to uncover and renovate to the original! The inside of the pub has beed altered quite a bit by previus tennants over the years! Looks a right dump inside nowadays.. I reckon it'll not be long before it too goes the way of so many cracking houses!! Shame!
carol nelson

Carol

Post by Carol »

Not sure if i have written in the correct box. New at this .Anyway my Dad was the Landlord at the Scarborough.Tony Nelson .I spent many evenings listening to the juke box and drinking pop in the tap room.cleaning up for Dad .Our cleaner was called Dott Trott ,i presume that she has passed away by now .She was a lovely lady .
carol nelson

Carol

Post by Carol »

Green batts rings a bell. Was it a printers factory.
carol nelson

Carol

Post by Carol »

stevief wrote: simonm wrote: drapesy wrote: stevief wrote: simonm wrote: I hate those new smooth beers with a passion! Campaign for the cask conditioned ales to be brought back with a vigour!! I'm a proud member of CAMRA simonm and I'm with you all the wayre-smooth.I started drinking in the 70's and it really was the dark ages for cask beer,if it hadn't been for Tetleys providing a few oases we'd have had to enjoy the delights of Double Diamond,Worthington'E' and Watneys Red Barrel. I remember those days too - ironically one of the few 'oases' was the Albion on Armley Road. went in the other day only to find the pumps dry and idle and John Pith's 'Smooth' the only 'bitter' on offer! You say "ironically", is that because you were aware that that was the pub the wife and I ran? I went in there on my way home from work last year. Asked for a pint of bitter and was told "we don't do that, no call for it??????????"I remember the time i had to up my orders from 3 full barrels to 6 of bitter (cask cnditioned, none of that smooth sh1te) when I had the gaffe. This is probably indicative of why so many pubs are closing these days! Too many people with too little knowledge being employed by companies who only want profit at any cost? Hi simonm,During your time as a landlord of the Albion did you know Tony Nelson who was mein host at the Scarborough just up the road?It was one of my haunts around that time.
carol nelson

Carol

Post by Carol »

Tony Nelson Is My Dad ..
carol nelson

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Carol wrote: Green batts rings a bell. Was it a printers factory. Greenwood & Batleys Eng was on the site off Armley Rd.....(Fairbairn Lawson....)...
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

For all those predicting the end of proper beer and proper pubs, I was in the scabby Taps at the weekend and there is a board behind the bar that proudly proclaims "2176 pints of real ale sold last week".Not bad for something that the international brewing conglomerates would have you believe is on it's uppers...I can recommend the Everards Suncatcher
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

raveydavey wrote: For all those predicting the end of proper beer and proper pubs, I was in the scabby Taps at the weekend and there is a board behind the bar that proudly proclaims "2176 pints of real ale sold last week".Not bad for something that the international brewing conglomerates would have you believe is on it's uppers...I can recommend the Everards Suncatcher Will have a go at that raveydavey.......Cheers !
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

raveydavey wrote: For all those predicting the end of proper beer and proper pubs, I was in the scabby Taps at the weekend and there is a board behind the bar that proudly proclaims "2176 pints of real ale sold last week".Not bad for something that the international brewing conglomerates would have you believe is on it's uppers...I can recommend the Everards Suncatcher I read somewhere that cask ale is the only sector of brewing that's actually expanding at the moment.It may be my imagination, but many of the pubs that are struggling (not town centre pubs) are those with loud music, smooth beer and keg lager. Those that are thriving are the ones where you can have a chat, and a decent pint of beer. I was in the Palace (after my failed attempt to get to the Grove ) last Friday and had a brilliant pint of cask Fullers London Pride.To digress, I was in Belfast recently in the Crown Bar Liquor Saloon, where unusually for Northern Ireland they do serve cask beers. What a place! All gleaming oak and little booths like pews in church. And really busy.