Real Ale lovers take note!!

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Barnsley Beer company who's Rhythm and Booze chain have taken over some Threshers outlets have added another quirky Yorkshire name to their existing: Shut thi gob, Coil 'oil, Clog Iron, and Black Bright. It's a special for Valentines and its called "Get thi coit, tha's pulled"
Industria Omnia Vincit

beast

Post by beast »

Had to laugh when I saw Taverners pub review in Saturday's Evening Post.Those two classy establishments,frequented by Leeds low life, The Three Legs and The Vine !Needless to say no real ale on sale in either just that John Smiths smoothflow [edited for content].Who on earth drinks that stuff ???p.s good to see the Duck and Drake is getting back to something like its former self, with good music and good beer.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

According to a flyer I was reading in The Whitelocks and also in Wetherspoons in house magazine, cask ale is at the moment outselling premium lager, cider and smooth. According to these pulications it is the one product whose sales in pubs are expanding. Also as they truly say it's the one product you can get in the pub you can't get at home. This being so, why do so many licencees seem keen to dispense with cask beers? In my experience in today's climate getting rid of the "wickets" is the prelude to the pub losing customers and closing. In Morley this is what happened at the Sycamore, White Horse, and Rock. All in the recent past sold cask beer and have ceased to do so - and they all have the shutters up.
Industria Omnia Vincit

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Hannibal69 wrote: cnosni wrote: Hannibal69 wrote: cnosni wrote: cnosni wrote: i love Fannies the pub in Saltaire!! Thank you for clarifying that Chris!!! lol. I thought, just for a minute there, that you had suddenly had an attack of online tourettes syndrome!!! lol Han. Nowt compare to the joke i WAS going to crack last night,when you were going to bed with mrs Han Err??? That was actually Mrs stutterdog Chris!!! And I can assure you that I have never been to bed with her, or indeed, with Mr stutterdog for that matter, although they do keep suggesting that I should try it!!! lolAs for "Mrs Han???" Well Chris, I've swung pretty much every which way over the years, but I draw the line at going to bed with my mother!!! lol Lots of love,Han.     Someone appears to be taking my name in vain,and also my wifes! How did I get involved in this steamy story? I have never suggested that you should go to bed with me Han! I'm too old for you anyway!
ex-Armley lad

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

By the way the excellent Ossett brewing company have opened a Leeds branch of their venue THE HOP which has been so successful here in Wakefield as a music venue and real ale mecca. It is hidden away though down the Dark Arches so i wonder how well it will do down there.If it is anything like the Wakefield one it is worth seeking out and you can incorporate it into a trip to The Grove!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Spackler

Post by Spackler »

Im finding Leeds Best and Pale in loads of pubs now. Its a great story in contrast to the utter disgrace at Tetleys and more importantly is an excellent pint. On this subject its good to see some new life in one of my favourite places, The George (great george st) lately. They used to serve good beer years ago but had been slowly run into the ground for many years. The stench in there from the drains was often overwhelming but its been totally cleaned up by the new owners. They only had Leeds Pale on the other day but are planning to have Best, Pale and a couple of guest beers I believe. Has always been a good place for bumping into 'characters'.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Trojan wrote: According to a flyer I was reading in The Whitelocks and also in Wetherspoons in house magazine, cask ale is at the moment outselling premium lager, cider and smooth. According to these pulications it is the one product whose sales in pubs are expanding. Also as they truly say it's the one product you can get in the pub you can't get at home. This being so, why do so many licencees seem keen to dispense with cask beers? In my experience in today's climate getting rid of the "wickets" is the prelude to the pub losing customers and closing. In Morley this is what happened at the Sycamore, White Horse, and Rock. All in the recent past sold cask beer and have ceased to do so - and they all have the shutters up. I think it is something to do with staff Trojan. Keeping good cask ale requires at least one an probably two decent cellarmen. While hardly an apprenticeship it is a skill that needs to be acquired and there aren't that many left with the ability to pass it on. I have been in plenty of pubs with "wickets" but the stuff they dispensed was vinegar or not much better mainly for the lack of a cellarmen with a bit of nouse.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

tyke bhoy wrote: Trojan wrote: According to a flyer I was reading in The Whitelocks and also in Wetherspoons in house magazine, cask ale is at the moment outselling premium lager, cider and smooth. According to these pulications it is the one product whose sales in pubs are expanding. Also as they truly say it's the one product you can get in the pub you can't get at home. This being so, why do so many licencees seem keen to dispense with cask beers? In my experience in today's climate getting rid of the "wickets" is the prelude to the pub losing customers and closing. In Morley this is what happened at the Sycamore, White Horse, and Rock. All in the recent past sold cask beer and have ceased to do so - and they all have the shutters up. I think it is something to do with staff Trojan. Keeping good cask ale requires at least one an probably two decent cellarmen. While hardly an apprenticeship it is a skill that needs to be acquired and there aren't that many left with the ability to pass it on. I have been in plenty of pubs with "wickets" but the stuff they dispensed was vinegar or not much better mainly for the lack of a cellarmen with a bit of nouse. Quite right - if not looked after cask ale can soon deteriorate and then people won't buy it. Thats why so many breweries and pub companies try to foist 'smooth' rubbish on us, as it is an inert product and needs no looking after.It's often commented that real ale "it doesn't sell", when it's more likely it isn't up to standard, so it doesn't sell. Places like the Scabby Taps don't seem to have any problem shifting it do they?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

raveydavey wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: Trojan wrote: According to a flyer I was reading in The Whitelocks and also in Wetherspoons in house magazine, cask ale is at the moment outselling premium lager, cider and smooth. According to these pulications it is the one product whose sales in pubs are expanding. Also as they truly say it's the one product you can get in the pub you can't get at home. This being so, why do so many licencees seem keen to dispense with cask beers? In my experience in today's climate getting rid of the "wickets" is the prelude to the pub losing customers and closing. In Morley this is what happened at the Sycamore, White Horse, and Rock. All in the recent past sold cask beer and have ceased to do so - and they all have the shutters up. I think it is something to do with staff Trojan. Keeping good cask ale requires at least one an probably two decent cellarmen. While hardly an apprenticeship it is a skill that needs to be acquired and there aren't that many left with the ability to pass it on. I have been in plenty of pubs with "wickets" but the stuff they dispensed was vinegar or not much better mainly for the lack of a cellarmen with a bit of nouse. Quite right - if not looked after cask ale can soon deteriorate and then people won't buy it. Thats why so many breweries and pub companies try to foist 'smooth' rubbish on us, as it is an inert product and needs no looking after.It's often commented that real ale "it doesn't sell", when it's more likely it isn't up to standard, so it doesn't sell. Places like the Scabby Taps don't seem to have any problem shifting it do they? I understand from my father in law ,who was a bar cellarman ,that cask ale has to be kept at the right temperature,has to be moved quickly and the pumps must be cleaned weekly. If a pub is not busy ,cask ale goes off because it's not being sold quickly, or before it's best before date. Thats why a lot of pubs cant keep real ale.They are not busy enough so they resort to the "smooth" types of beer. I rest my case M'lud
ex-Armley lad

Si

Post by Si »

Yeah, the busier the pub, the better the beer. The better the beer, the busier the pub. Once that circle is broken, it's very difficult to get back.