The sun goes down on the Rising Sun

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Said he heard it on the Radio, Martin Wainright I think on Radio 4.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

A quick look finds.....http://www.britainexpress.com/History/p ... ts.htm"The survival of darts as a pub game can be pretty accurately dated. Throughout the Victorian period legislation prohibited "games of chance" (i.e. gambling) in pubs. In 1908 a pub owner named Anakin in Leeds, Yorkshire, was taken to court for permitting darts to be played in his establishment. He offered to prove that darts was a game of skill.A board was set up in the courtroom, and there Anakin threw 3 darts in the 20. He challenged any of the magistrates to duplicate his feat. When they could not (darts is, after all, not as easy as it looks!), the court was forced to accept that darts was indeed a game of skill, not chance, and the laws were eventually changed."Which pub did Anakin run?(You can only hope he had a son called Luke.)

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Our swashbuckling hero – who goes by the admittedly underwhelming monicker of Foot Anakin – was taken to court in 1908 for allowing darts to be played in his public bar, the Adelphi Inn on Kirkstall Road, Leeds. Darts was considered a game of chance, and games of chance were banned by law from taking place on licensed premises. However, Anakin argued that darts was not a festival of luck but a game of the greatest skill, and so he erected a dartboard in a Leeds magistrates court to prove his point.Taken from http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... -six-darts. Further research by Dr Patrick Chaplin reveals that Annakin wasn't a publican at all he worked in a forge. Annakin was in fact the best darts and dominoes player in the Adelphi Inn. When the landlord of the Adelphi, Jim Garside, was summoned to Leeds Magistrates’ Court to answer the charge of allowing a game of chance to be played on his premises, he asked Annakin to come along and demonstrate darts was a game of skill.Take from http://www.darts501.com/History.htm In 1908 there was a serious challenge to the game when the Leeds’ Magistrates heard a court case against a local pub owner, named "Foot" Anakin (he had very large feet). At that time in England it was illegal for pubs to allow ‘games of chance’ to be played in their establishments. Foot was accused of operating a game of chance, darts, in his pub. Foot tried to prove that darting was not a game of chance by setting up a dart board in the court and throwing three twenties on his first attempt. He challenged anyone in the court to match his feat, but none could. The court ruled in his favor.Taken from http://www.dartguide.com/game.htmlSo take your pick     

jim

Post by jim »

I enjoyed the "feet/feat" references in the dartguide link uncle mick.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

jim wrote: I enjoyed the "feet/feat" references in the dartguide link uncle mick. Yes Jim. Glad it was his feet & not ............

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

uncle mick wrote: jim wrote: I enjoyed the "feet/feat" references in the dartguide link uncle mick. Yes Jim. Glad it was his feet & not ............ I've given him a plug on here before, but here goes.Randy Newman was just as subtle as our own Uncle Mick with these lines....Big hat, no cattleBig shoes, well you know...Big horse, no saddleHe goes wherever I go

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

So Leeds saved darts. Another tick for this great city.

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

I think I noticed that as I took my girlfriend to Leeds/Bradford Airport...I was wondering what had happened and forgot about it until I read this. It's always a shame when something like that happens to a beautiful old building.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.