Leeds Lost Pubs - Part 2

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
warringtonrhino

Re: Leeds Lost Pubs - Part 2

Post by warringtonrhino »

raveydavey wrote:The closed Whinmoor pub has now been demolished. There has been talk of social / affordable housing on the site, but who knows these days? There has been the same talk for the site of the Squinting Cat pub which has remained empty since demolition ages ago...
Funnily enough though, the much longer closed Staging Post (which is also a lot more visible given its location), is still standing and boarded up.
The Squinting Cat/ John Smeaton pub was involved in a fire and reduced to a shell with no roof on 17th August 2014.
It has since been razed to the ground.

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

Sorry if this is already in pt1 but in the late 50s and maybe just into the 60s my mum and dad ran a Hemingways pub in Newtown called the Primrose Inn sadly all the area was bulldozed for redevelopement and they came out of the trade and moved to Halton. My mum and Grandma ran the pub as my dad held down a day job as a painter and decorator at the LGI.
batchoy

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi all
in the 1960s I worked in springwell rd (off water lane) we used 2 pubs one was the goodman at the top sp/rd and for the life of me I cant remember the name of the other one so here goes,if you followed water lane out of leeds you came to a roundabout at it end the volunteer pub was on the left corner,if you went straight across the pub was on the left hand side stood on its own the road came out at the smyths arms at the top, any ideas lads??
regards
sm1

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

snowman1 wrote:hi all
in the 1960s I worked in springwell rd (off water lane) we used 2 pubs one was the goodman at the top sp/rd and for the life of me I cant remember the name of the other one so here goes,if you followed water lane out of leeds you came to a roundabout at it end the volunteer pub was on the left corner,if you went straight across the pub was on the left hand side stood on its own the road came out at the smyths arms at the top, any ideas lads??
regards
sm1
Lord Nelson ???

Edit - Alexandre Arms ???
Last edited by uncle mick on Mon 12 Jan, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

As I have no memory of a roundabout and therefore its location on Water Lane.

You aren't thinking of the Cross Keys described as a "Foundry Pub" that went to rot in the 80s and has been reopened last 5 years or so? If by out of Leeds you mean from Victoria Road with the river and canal to your right it is on the left of Water Lane just after Globe Road forks to the right. To my mind that's the most likely junction on modern Water Lane to have had a roundabout in the past even if it would have to have been not much bigger than the current mini ones.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

The Volunteer was on Holbeck Lane, across the road from the old piano showroom: http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/yorkshire/l ... nteer.html. I guess the roundabout is the one that's there now, where the Dunelm store is. The Smyth's Arms was on Gelderd Rd opposite Wortley Lane and roughly where Enterprise Car Rental is now. I can't find any pubs on Wortley Lane, but there's a Star brewery there on a 1963 map so it might have been a brewery tap for that.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

snowman1 wrote:hi all
regards
sm1
]
That would be the George 1V. then there was the Alex. and on to the Smiths. Hic....

(The Lord Nelson was on Holbeck Lane)

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi lads
thanks for the info re my forgotten pub the alex rings a bell.its a long long time since I worked in that part of leeds and it has changed beyond all recognition.you could get a good pint in the goodman and the alex.happy days
best regards
sm1

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

tyke bhoy
the other end of water lane,you pass the bottom end of springwell rd on your right then the nelson on the same side then the old water lane transport café on your left and then the volunteer on the corner,if you turned left galway smiths car showroom was on your left before the railway bridge,any way back to the volunteer on your left cross straight over the pub was on your left and the smyths arms was facing you at the top,in those days you drive up the side of the smyths arms and go up Copley hill to tong rd
regards
sm1

tilly

Post by tilly »

My mind must be playing tricks has snowman says i thought the Volunteer was at the very end of Water Lane not opposite the piano repair place There was a picture house i think it was next door if not it was very near cant remember the name but i have been there e few times. :D
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.