Leeds Lost Pubs - Part 2

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

liits wrote: It would have been the North Eastern Hotel at the junction of Catherine Street and Cross Catherine Street.Leodis has the picture above....Thomas Leach was the Licensee from 30th April 1920 until 16th June 1922. He leased the property from the Albion Breweries of Woodhouse Lane [they later sold the freehold to Kirkstall Breweries].This was Thomas’ only stint as a publican, although there are lots of other Leaches who were Licensees. I don’t suppose you’d be willing to give his wife’s name [your grandmother]? Thank you for the info. so far My Grandmothers name was Katherine. it certainly was closed in the mid to late 40s as my brother and I were intrigued by the fact that the front entrance was below the street level and we would run down and out the other side. there was a lot of demolition going on and as I remember that pub and the railway stables were the only ones standing on that part of Church road. My Grandfather had been a sergeant in the Leeds City Police and had been about a bit incliuding the Liverpool riots but was a bit naïve as a publican, he parted with a lot of money to some regular customers known locally as the "Whizz Mob" so maybe that accounts for his only two years in the business.PS. looking again at the photo not only brings back memories but I realise the entrance below the street level was actually the side.    

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

"From the towns all Inns have been driven: from the villages most.... Change your hearts or you will lose your Inns and you will deserve to have lost them. But when you have lost your Inns drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England."HILAIRE BELLOC
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

sancho_panza

Re:

Post by sancho_panza »

liits wrote:Here are the pubs and beer houses of Burmantofts. The area marked in yellow is the area on the 1933 map as “Clinic”. It seems it was built on an area previously occupied by the Leeds Industrial School for Girls [Matron: Miss Olive Anderson]. The premises of the school get another mention under another guise inasmuch as “75 Windsor Street. Leeds Ladies Association for the Care of Friendless Girls”. Who knows....?As to the pubs, the closest would have been the Garden Gate. A John Smith’s pub, it was always a beer house and never made the transfer to a full publicans license. It closed on 27th January 1941, a victim of the Corporation’s Closure & Compensation Commission.The Providence Inn was next closest. Another beer house [originally brewing its own beer on-site] it later became an Albion Brewery tied house and lastly an Ind Coop house. I don’t have the date of its closure but it lasted into the late 50’s at the very least as it is listed in the 1958 Barret’s Directory.The Sir Ralph Abercrombie was another beer house. Originally belonging to Findlay’s, it was lastly owned by Tetley’s. Again, it lasted into the 50’s.As to the Woodpeckers [both old and new]. The old [old] Woodpecker, on the north-east side of the junction was an Ind Coop public house. The Licensing Justices, on 10th March granted final permission for a new license to be granted to premises at the junction of York Road and Marsh Lane. The date of the closure and cessation of the existing license is not recorded but oftentimes, they closed on the day that the new premises opened.The new Woodpecker, on the south-east side of the junction, opened for business on 13th October 1939. Continuing as an Ind Coop house, it later transferred to Tetleys. It was built partly on the site of the former Simpson’s Arms.The Simpsons, a William Whitaker’s house, closed on 30th September 1938. No reason for the closure is given but it may well have been the sale of the land to Ind Coop. Leodis has a picture of the premises part way through its demolition. Back in the 1870’s, an ancestor of a SL member was the Licensee of the premises.    
Hello, new to this board.There is a treasure trove of Leeds info on here.With regard to The old Woodpecker, a relative of mine mentioned that during WW2 an errant bomb dropped in the York road area near or close to the Woodpecker(I guess they were aiming for the railway track near by).Can anyone else corroborate this?
"there goes the charabanc"

Dalehelms

Re: Leeds Lost Pubs - Part 2

Post by Dalehelms »

Welcome to S.L. sancho_panza. I hope that you will enjoy our quirky site.

sancho_panza

Post by sancho_panza »

Dalehelms wrote:Welcome to S.L. sancho_panza. I hope that you will enjoy our quirky site.
Cheers, hope to make some positive contributions in the future.
"there goes the charabanc"

jim

Post by jim »

Sancho panza, the nearby Marsh Lane Goods Yard was certainly bombed in WW2, and traces of this were still evident in the early 1960s when I was maintenance fitter at the yard for a few years.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The closed Whinmoor pub has now been demolished. There has been talk of social / affordable housing on the site, but who knows these days? There has been the same talk for the site of the Squinting Cat pub which has remained empty since demolition ages ago...
Funnily enough though, the much longer closed Staging Post (which is also a lot more visible given its location), is still standing and boarded up.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

One nearly in Steve Jones backyard if he isn't averse to public footpaths across farmer's fields. Unless its in for a serious refurb, which given the location is unlikely, the Wagon and Horses at Lofthouse looks like its about to be converted. From what I can see on passng buses the bar has been removed and the rest of the ground floor pretty much gutted. It is next door to the Castle and I can't see how either have survived let alone both. A fair walk up from Outwood which has 5 pubs just on the A61 anyway and the Gardeners Arms and pubs in Carlton are probably nearer for most Lofthouse residents.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

jim wrote:Sancho panza, the nearby Marsh Lane Goods Yard was certainly bombed in WW2, and traces of this were still evident in the early 1960s when I was maintenance fitter at the yard for a few years.

As a kid attending Mt. St. Marys School Richmond Hill during the war one morning I went and all the windows had been blown out. we were not allowed near and there was a bomb crater in "Old Park (our football pitch) which was also in in Richmond hill.
I don't think that Marsh Lane railway yard was hit but for anyone interested I know there is a lot about it somewhere on Secret Leeds.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

tyke bhoy wrote:One nearly in Steve Jones backyard if he isn't averse to public footpaths across farmer's fields. Unless its in for a serious refurb, which given the location is unlikely, the Wagon and Horses at Lofthouse looks like its about to be converted. From what I can see on passng buses the bar has been removed and the rest of the ground floor pretty much gutted. It is next door to the Castle and I can't see how either have survived let alone both. A fair walk up from Outwood which has 5 pubs just on the A61 anyway and the Gardeners Arms and pubs in Carlton are probably nearer for most Lofthouse residents.
It has been in a perilous state for years.I have never managed to get into it when up that way, as it always seemed to be shut so not a great loss except to history.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!