uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leeds Arms - West Street
Attachments
8682681696_b864f53ffc_o.jpg
8682681696_b864f53ffc_o.jpg (51.84 KiB) Viewed 3394 times

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

liits wrote: How far back are you thinking stutterdog?The pic below shows the Highland in green (A) and also the Adelphi Inn, Cavendish Street (B). The Adelphi lasted until 1955 when the last licensee, Berty Stirk, moved on to the Central Market at Duncan Street.Here's a Leodis pic.The fire Station is highlighted - although not very well - in blue, and for historical interest, at the other end of Durham Street, the Woolpack Inn (C). Although it ceased to be a pub in the late 50's, the building remained.Leodis has this pic of it in its post-pub days.The Woolpack was another of those pubs whos license was surrendered to facilitate the opening of other pubs. ALong with the Somerby Inn, Somerby Street and the Springhill Tavern, Buslingthorpe Lane, they all gave up their licenses for the Halton Moor Hotel. What a waste!         Thanks for the great photos of the Leeds arms and The Fishermans Hut, and Liiits ,Im going back to the early 60's when I caught the bus in Armley rd down to Wellington Bridge and worked my way through the streets nr the Fire Station onto Burley Rd where I worked in what was later part of YTV studios.where quite a lot of Frost was done. I don't think I ever visited the Highland but I have had a pint in the Leeds arms and the Fishermans Hut but I think I'd had a few and couldn't remember which pub was which! Those were the days!
ex-Armley lad

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

liits wrote: drapesy wrote: Nice work all -thanks for the maps.A minor point - It was the 'Woolpack' not 'Woolpacks' You're right, of course. I don't know what I was thinking. I've now corrected it. There was a 'Woolpacks' in Holbeck and , until very recently, in Guiseley - now renamed as "Martha's ale house"
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Looks like the Duncan is closed
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

cnosni wrote: Looks like the Duncan is closed Impossible, they'd just got a new carpet.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote: Looks like the Duncan is closed What makes you think that cnosni ? If the Duncan is to close I would imagine that Sam Smiths have sold the whole building/block which I think they own.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Never thought they had an old one. The Parksider wrote: cnosni wrote: Looks like the Duncan is closed Impossible, they'd just got a new carpet.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: cnosni wrote: Looks like the Duncan is closed What makes you think that cnosni ? If the Duncan is to close I would imagine that Sam Smiths have sold the whole building/block which I think they own. Went passed there at quarter past ten last night,no lights on and the whole doorway boarded up.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote: uncle mick wrote: cnosni wrote: Looks like the Duncan is closed What makes you think that cnosni ? If the Duncan is to close I would imagine that Sam Smiths have sold the whole building/block which I think they own. Went passed there at quarter past ten last night,no lights on and the whole doorway boarded up. Thanks. Keep us informed if you pass again

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

cnosni wrote: Went passed there at quarter past ten last night,no lights on and the whole doorway boarded up. to be fair that could just be the result of one of the customers<LOL>.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!