Leeds Lost Pubs - Part 2

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
iansmithofotley

Re: Leeds Lost Pubs - Part 2

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

I was brought up in Woodhouse and my father was from the Farm Hill Estate at Meanwood, near to the pub. As a child I remember the pub being called the 'Melbourne' but, in later years, it changed its name to the 'Meanwood'. It is now demolished and on the site is a block of flats called Cherry Court.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thanks for that Ian,
I now seem to remember that in the early 1960's there was a long sign on the front of the building that said "Melbourne" but as there was already a pub up York Road with that name i thought my mind was playing tricks (again.)

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Melbourne was the name of the brewery, I think it was on Regent Street.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

warringtonrhino wrote:Melbourne was the name of the brewery, I think it was on Regent Street.
That's correct but Ian and I were talking about a couple of Pubs in Leeds with that name.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

I’ve done a bit of research about the Leeds pubs called, locally, as the ‘Melbourne’.

I have checked the Old Maps website and both pubs are shown on the 1933 map (and later maps). The pub on York Road is called the Melbourne Hotel and the pub on Meanwood Road is called the Meanwood Hotel. The Melbourne Brewery dates from about 1889 but was taken over by Tetley’s Brewery in 1960.

As a child, I do not remember a sign saying the Meanwood Hotel but there was a Melbourne sign. I wonder if a Meanwood Hotel sign did not appear until after the change of brewery in 1960. I have checked a few websites and forums and there is no doubt that probably up to 1960, all of the local people knew the pub as the Melbourne, even though the proper name was the Meanwood Hotel.

Funnily enough, I bet that if you asked the elderly Meanwood people where the Melbourne pub was, they would tell you straight away, but if you asked them where Cherry Court was they wouldn’t have a clue, and neither did I until yesterday.

Ian

Roddericoz

Post by Roddericoz »

The fisherman's hut was on East street not West street, it was one of the pubs that were part of the cross green trip, starting at the slip in, the cavalier, the shepherd the fishermans hut, the black dog, the springfield the cross green

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Roddericoz wrote:The fisherman's hut was on East street not West street, it was one of the pubs that were part of the cross green trip, starting at the slip in, the cavalier, the shepherd the fishermans hut, the black dog, the springfield the cross green
There were two Fishermans Hut, this is the one on West Street

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjERRh2P

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Roddericoz wrote:The fisherman's hut was on East street not West street, it was one of the pubs that were part of the cross green trip, starting at the slip in, the cavalier, the shepherd the fishermans hut, the black dog, the springfield the cross green
You missed out two of what i thought were the best of all the Boozy Friday nights, The Waterloo on East Street and the Spring Close up above the Fishermans Hut. Both fine Tetley's Houses. Haappy Days (Hic)

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

uncle mick wrote:
There were two Fishermans Hut, this is the one on West Street

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjERRh2P
There was also the Leeds Arms quite nearby and though i was a bit of a Pub Crawler in my younger days i never had occasion to go in either.