Pubs in Gipton

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
lmhowe50

Post by lmhowe50 »

I grew up in Gipton I think hen they where 4 pubs Now they are none Also only seems to be 1 pub at Staningley bottem Think had 4 None of the pubs my late unclevisited still stand I did a Tetleys pub run on York Road to get a free T shirt Most are gone Then the bar Leeds city centre which had long bar is closed Coffee houses do very well

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

lmhowe50 wrote: I grew up in Gipton I think hen they where 4 pubs Now they are none Also only seems to be 1 pub at Staningley bottem Think had 4 None of the pubs my late unclevisited still stand I did a Tetleys pub run on York Road to get a free T shirt Most are gone Then the bar Leeds city centre which had long bar is closed Coffee houses do very well Which do you remember? I remember The Fairway and The Courtier (renamed The Oak Tree). That's it - unless you are counting The Shaftesbury and The Dog & Gun - which aren't really Gipton. The Dog & Gun is still there - but I wouldn't want to go in!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

lmhowe50

Post by lmhowe50 »

I remember the courtier I was born in 1962 so I think I was to young to drink in therebefore it closed Then the fairway I spent my first official New Years eve there but I had been drinking there unofficially since I was 15 I went with my parents There was the Oakwood Arms now a Mc Donalds a pub on the road which was round corner from Dib Lane PO I my 3 brothers and my sister all had paper rounds on Amberton estate I lived in Amberton Garth for 17 years 7 years on South Farm Road 2 years on Amberton Approach Then I moved away I am in Bramley now My Aunt Uncle and few cousins still live in Gipton My younger brother has house in Harehills I think my family have beeen in Yorkshire bout 200 years

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Its The Grange on Dibb Lane. As far as I know its still open - it certainly was a couple of years ago.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

lmhowe50

Post by lmhowe50 »

I see that they are a lot of photos of The Sandford Arms that would have been my local My other local the bridge at kirkstall also closed I had a few Xmas meals there in downstairs part the pub went downhill very fast I remember to when Compton Arms had a night club called rockys I think it had a boxing ring for the dance floor I went there a few times in my 20s

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

The Giptonwasn't.

lmhowe50

Post by lmhowe50 »

Yes I forgot about the Gipton Think it was good for a pie pint and punch up Also fforde green get stuff off back off a lorry My dad got my mum a gold necklace there It turned her neck green He also used to buy steak there

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

I'd ruled The Grange Park, The Fforde Grene and The Gipton out as being out of Gipton. It depends on what you see the boundaries of Gipton as being. Many years ago, the name 'Gipton' covered a very wide area - the wood at Oakwood is officially 'Gipton Wood' and the old bath house at the bottom of Gledhow Valley Woods is marked on old maps as 'Gipton Spa'. However, after the Gipton Estate was built, very few people living outside the council estate would say they live in 'Gipton'. Pure snobbery!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

lmhowe50

Post by lmhowe50 »

That is why I did not think of the Gipton which went upmarket and renamed itself the Roundhay Gipton woods was rumoured to be visited by weird old men and haunted by nuns so as children we kept away Gipton for us was as far as killingbeck hospital one way, the crossing where a beck run under the road the other,near that pub and what is now a burgerking the other way We roamed all over this area I did not see a cow or sheep to I was 9

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

yorkrdlad, ImhoweIt is interesting what you say about boundary etc.Back in the day we would beat the bounds, an ancient custom from before we had maps.Some mention of the Gipton Quarries herehttp://www.fgvw.co.uk/html/woods/rigs.htm#Ella ... owQuarries