Cigany Nightclub, Headingley

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
LS13

Post by LS13 »

Anyone remember this place? Saturdays YEP had a letter from a woman saying she used to run it but no one remembers it. She says it was 'in the Arndale Centre' and was 'one of the most luxurious around'. No one I know (covering 1970's onwards) remembers it, so perhaps it was in the 60's, though not even sure the Arndale was there then?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

LS13 wrote: Anyone remember this place? Saturdays YEP had a letter from a woman saying she used to run it but no one remembers it. She says it was 'in the Arndale Centre' and was 'one of the most luxurious around'. No one I know (covering 1970's onwards) remembers it, so perhaps it was in the 60's, though not even sure the Arndale was there then? I vaguely remember going there in the early 70's but here is the proof it exisisted from the 1970 Phone Book And here from Leodishttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL
Attachments
__TFMF_5gfiwv55h2yanomhl1m0dsqs_5693c84e-d900-4b1d-b16a-31b3c067c7ab_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_5gfiwv55h2yanomhl1m0dsqs_5693c84e-d900-4b1d-b16a-31b3c067c7ab_0_main.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 8238 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

There was club at the alma road end in the early 70s.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

LS13 wrote: Anyone remember this place? Saturdays YEP had a letter from a woman saying she used to run it but no one remembers it. She says it was 'in the Arndale Centre' and was 'one of the most luxurious around'. No one I know (covering 1970's onwards) remembers it, so perhaps it was in the 60's, though not even sure the Arndale was there then? The Cigany (note the spelling) Grill was a feature of the Headingley Arndale Centre back in the 60s. Towards the Alma Road end of the Centre it was a regular haunt of several Leeds Utd. players back then. I'm sure it's had mentions here on earlier threads on SL. It's also covered on Leodis. Cigany means gypsy (I think), JD    

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The Cigany, here it is at the Arndale
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

buffaloskinner wrote: The Cigany, here it is at the Arndale Great picture.....look how neat and tidy the pavement and road are....no litter floating about,roadworks,potholes or chewing gum on the pavement slabs !
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

jdbythesea wrote: LS13 wrote: Anyone remember this place? Saturdays YEP had a letter from a woman saying she used to run it but no one remembers it. She says it was 'in the Arndale Centre' and was 'one of the most luxurious around'. No one I know (covering 1970's onwards) remembers it, so perhaps it was in the 60's, though not even sure the Arndale was there then? The Cigany (note the spelling) Grill was a feature of the Headingley Arndale Centre back in the 60s. Towards the Alma Road end of the Centre it was a regular haunt of several Leeds Utd. players back then. I'm sure it's had mentions here on earlier threads on SL. It's also covered on Leodis. Cigany means gypsy (I think), JD     From a Slavic language, cigan (“Gypsy”), Serbo-Croatian plural C?gani (“Gypsies”).
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Shows very clearly how much street "furniture" we have these days.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

And how much better the Armadale looked without the brick cladding (now removed).

GENERALBEAR

Re: Cigany Nightclub, Headingley

Post by GENERALBEAR »

The Cigany opened in the mid sixties when the Headingley Arndale was built (with a 10 pin bowling alley, the second only one in Leeds after the Merrion).
It was owned by a Hungarian man called Albert Nemeth who ran it with his wife Kat and helped by his son Thomas. The chef was called Kiss (pron. Kish) who was also a true Hungarian.
After The Cigany, Albert opened a cafe/bistro - The Piazza - at the city end of Woodhouse Moor opposite what is today The Library pub. He later opened The Paprika at Hyde Park and eventually The Alpha Grill opposite the university steps.
After he retired Thomas took over the business until he too retired and sold The Alpha, which is now Charco's.
Albert died a few years back, around 2016 I seem to remember, and sadly Thomas also died in May 2018.
They were all quite some characters!