Vanishing Breweries

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

uncle mick wrote: Oh yes they can http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/smar ... G-RETURNER Well, I'll be whatevered! Thank goodness it's only used for returning beer drained from beer lines before cleaning, and not for pouring half drunk pints, the contents of driptrays etc back into the keg, eh?
The older I get, the better I was.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

salt 'n pepper wrote: I suppose Kathleen Moran was a barmaid. But she was also the licensee throughout the seventies, and probably earlier. Thanks S&P, in that case she had definitely moved on when I worked there. Sorry I can't be sure of the exact year, I can only say for certain it was after 1980 and before 1983 'cos I know what I was doing in those years! I'm sure Liits will have the facts about who was the licensee at what time at his fingertips.

York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

Bruno. Yes, all the points you make about autovacs are valid - and were the source of the concerns. However, I think that the risk to health was minimal if good hygiene practices were followed - clean glasses and clean hands. I believe that it is actually now illegal to refill a glass - and I certainly haven't had a glass refilled in any pub since the 1970's.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

York Road Lad wrote: Bruno. Yes, all the points you make about autovacs are valid - and were the source of the concerns. However, I think that the risk to health was minimal if good hygiene practices were followed - clean glasses and clean hands. I believe that it is actually now illegal to refill a glass - and I certainly haven't had a glass refilled in any pub since the 1970's. I don't know if it's been specifically legislated against, but most pubs quote the dreaded "elf n safety" if you attempt to keep the same glass, which is more likely to be corporate lawyers fending off a theoretical future law suit.....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

The problem today is the absolutely filthy condition of the so-called clean glasses - covered in greasy fingerprints, lipstick and who knows what else?Thirty years ago the glasses were washed individually using a rotating brush device before being steamed in a kind of dishwasher, and we usually dried and polished them up with an endless supply of cotton tea towels.Now it seems they just get bunged into a dishwasher with no detergent before being taken out and refilled, often while the glass is still hot.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Bruno wrote: The problem today is the absolutely filthy condition of the so-called clean glasses - covered in greasy fingerprints, lipstick and who knows what else?Thirty years ago the glasses were washed individually using a rotating brush device before being steamed in a kind of dishwasher, and we usually dried and polished them up with an endless supply of cotton tea towels.Now it seems they just get bunged into a dishwasher with no detergent before being taken out and refilled, often while the glass is still hot. Bruno I can agree and disagree on your comment. In my opinion there is nothing to beat a modern day glass washer but it must be kept clean.I used to use Renovate once a week to clean the glass washer & renovate the glasses. Also you had to have the correct amount of detergent & rinse aid feeding the glass washer whilst it was in normal operationJust a personal opinion but I don't think it's hygienic using tea towels, just leave them to dryEdit. Renovate http://www.h-e-d.co.uk/renovate.htm    

loiner99

Re: Vanishing Breweries Hemingways

Post by loiner99 »

I believe someone said that Hemingays only had 6 pubs well my family ran two of them I believe The Primrose Inn Newtown and the Black Horse Mabgate. Please correct me if I am wrong but that is what my vague recollections are I was very young at the time (late 50s,early 60s)
batchoy

loiner99

Re: hemingways

Post by loiner99 »

stevief wrote:The Parksider wrote: Barwicker wrote: Back to Hemingways Brewery. The address was York Road, Leeds and the 1908 OS Map shows a Malthouse situated on York Road, between the old Library/Baths and Pontefract Lane. That could be the site. The real pub quiz for Loiner experts is which were the six Hemingways pubs in Leeds???Tetley's took them over and I had a Hemingway's beer tray which I "found" in an area managers cupboard. It's well before my time but I would hazard a guess at The Regent,known locally as 'the slip' simply because it's the nearest.Is it still a going concern,by the way?

I sort of part answered the question elswhere but I believe my family ran 2 of the 6 as my mum and dad had the Primrose Inn Newtown until it was demolished in late 50s/early60s . At the same time my auntie and uncle ran the Black Horse Mabgate. The Primrose I am sure was a Hemingays boozer but I only think that the Black Horse was the same. Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
batchoy

uncle mick

Re: Vanishing Breweries

Post by uncle mick »

The Black Horse was always a Tetley's house in my recollections. Photo here from 1964

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Photo from 2007 http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/561369
Attachments
Black Horse.jpg
Black Horse.jpg (35.87 KiB) Viewed 4571 times

liits

Re: Vanishing Breweries

Post by liits »

Tetely's took over Melbourne in 1960. I wonder if the faded / painted out piece of the gable wall had been the Melbourne Courtier logo?