Pack Horse Gelderd Road

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
MajorClanger

Post by MajorClanger »

Demolition started yesterday, probably flattened by the weekend.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Good grief! - I thought this would be listed - it appears on maps dating back to the early 1800's. What a shame it couldn't have been used for some other purpose.P.S. Was there any planning permission.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

[quotenick="Leeds Hippo"]Good grief! - I thought this would be listed - it appears on maps dating back to the early 1800's. The building did not look that old though. I wonder when it was rebuilt ?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I have a photo of it in my Leeds closed pubs set herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/576891 ... 82621928As Mick rightly says the pub isn't that old, I think it was more 'Ye Olde Worlde' old than authentic old. It did have a few unsympathetic add ons over the years too. It is quite hard to date, anyone any ideas? 1930's perhaps?    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I agree with that Phil, it looks very 1920's-30's to me    

Si

Post by Si »

Me too. The mock-Tudor look with herringbone brickwork was very popular then. The Hare and Hounds at Menston is a similar design.

liits

Post by liits »

The "new" Pack Horse opened on 20th November 1936 and was built [if you look at it from the front] just to the right of the original premises. There was some kind of delay with building new premises as the Order of Removal [the transfer of the license from one premises to the other] was renewed in February 1936.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

That makes me very sad. A decade or so ago that used to be my haunt every lunch hour. Mind you, it lost its appeal somewhat when they posed it up and turned it into more of a restaurant.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

BarFly wrote: That makes me very sad. A decade or so ago that used to be my haunt every lunch hour. Once had a summer job many moons ago at Lewis's Depot (now Merc/Smart cars afore railway bridge).Went for a pint here, we really had to jogon. Far better to be posted at 'the shop' ready for an evening session commencing in the Piccadilly Bar.Then, quite literally, all downhill from there.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I was at the Comet central stores. We went in The Packhorse or The Weatsheaf pretty mich every lunch and often after work.There aren't enough real pubs out there and every time one closes a pint spills in heaven.