Smyths Arms

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Thanks for the photo, great memories - I lived on Danube View, do you know the year it was taken? I grew up in the area and left in 72 aged 16, don't remember the the cattle market ever being up and running though, but as a child I don't suppose I would necessarily - too many other more important things to do!!Interested in your A to Z of the area, does it show and/or give the name of the field at the bottom of 'Danubes', I knew it as the 'Lemi'?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Judging by the car and electric lamppost in the photo I'd put it in the early 1960's My A-Z shows a number of streets off Gelderd road on the south side going south-west from the Junction with Whitehall road/Wortley lane there isLeah StreetA gap/ possibly unnamed roadDanube StreetA very small gapDanube Place "    Terr. " ViewOswald Street "     Terr " Place " View " GroveA gapArch RoadArch TerraceMill Green Goit runs along the back of the Danubes/Oswaldsbeyond that is an irregular shaped piece of land labelled as "Recn. Grd." (the Lemi I assume !), with the railway beyond that then Hol Beck.Please see the Lemi Thread for possible explanation of the name Lemi
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

This thread seems to have veered off - so I've started a separate thread about the Cattle Market in the 'buildings' section.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Next to the Smythes Arms was a clothing factory 'Taintons' and directly behind I remember collecting bags of coal form the coal merchants or is my mind playing tricks??

Jailhouse John

Post by Jailhouse John »

We usd to 'overnight' stock at our farm on Royds Lane that were destined for the Cattle Market next day. The Smythes Arms was a regarded as a bit of a dive in teh 50's and 60's -. I think the Landlord was Jim Baker the old LUFC captain from the 20's. The pub further up Gelderd Rd was indeed the Cattle Market and thr next the 'Sheaf and then the Pack Horse.We delivered milk to houses on the Danubes and Oswalds and my Dad was brought up there as a boy.
JJFROM ER TO ETERNITY

simonm

Post by simonm »

Biscuit Tin wrote: Next to the Smythes Arms was a clothing factory 'Taintons' and directly behind I remember collecting bags of coal form the coal merchants or is my mind playing tricks?? Taintons was there for a lot of years, it was just across the road from the the pub and I remember it burning down in the early 80's. Although it had shut down a bit before that!! I remember me and my mates going in there and everything was still in place. The stuff I aquired for my mum ( she was a dress maker) for her work was amazing. It went up in flames not long after we took a look round!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Hope the image works... The smyths Arms was on the right hand side where the advertising hoarding is!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

For biscuit tin, some images from around Copley hill area!

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Thanks for sharing the photo's :-) I used to walk up Copley Hill most weekends to get to my Gran's in Armley, she lived not a stones throw from Gotts Park.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Here's a pic of Taintons and the co-op dairy from Leodis
Attachments
__TFMF_m0dyan55lxgx5g45m14k11eu_54e83509-e6c4-40f1-9fd3-5466253bb479_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_m0dyan55lxgx5g45m14k11eu_54e83509-e6c4-40f1-9fd3-5466253bb479_0_main.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 7201 times