Smyths Arms

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

I grew up on the border of Armley and Holbeck in a back to back off Geldard Road. Does anyone remember the Smyths Arms or the name of the other pub just up the road from it?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Was the Smyths Arms the one just behind what was MCC near to the LICS Dairy?I went in there a few times after work for a quenching pint in the early 90's if it was, although we usually went up to The Wheatsheaf.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I remember the Smyth's - it is the one you're thinking of Raveydavey-- a very old building i think, but I dont remember any other on that stretch of road. people used to pronounce it as "Smythes" (Not "Smiths"). I don't know if this was the correct pronounciation strictly speaking, but it helped distinguish it from the Smith's Arms (also sadly now gone) at the bottom of Marsh Lane
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

simonm

Post by simonm »

The smyths arms was next to the dairy, well almost. It stood almost at the direct end of Copley hill. Also Ravey, if it's the same one will have spent more than a few bob in there, bit of a P/head our ravey!! :lol:when I was manager of the Albion, Armley Rd, the Smyths was part of the same group. The manager of it became good friends with my wife and myself! I was always amazed at how small the cellers were, I'm only 5'8, but even I had to stoop considerably to work down there..Apparently it was a stage post in and out of Leeds, obviously when Leeds was very much smaller and I'm sure it belonged to the earl of Halifax, when it was a coaching house? Might be wrong, but sure that was the story told to me! such a shame that buildings with a historical significance aren't alwasy ekpt as they should.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Someone has said that the pub up the road from Smythes Arms could have been called the Cattle Market. There used to be an actual Cattle Market on the other side of the road that led up from Gelderd Road to Whitehall Road? Also there was supposedly a bit of rivalry between the two pubs?Hope this makes sense, its been a very long day!!!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

simonm wrote: The smyths arms was next to the dairy, well almost. It stood almost at the direct end of Copley hill. Also Ravey, if it's the same one will have spent more than a few bob in there, bit of a P/head our ravey!! :lol: You'll know all about the "exotic dancers" that used to be on of a Friday evening then?I found out about them completely by accident when I called in for a beer. I was so shocked I had to have another pint!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Didn't know what an 'exotic dancer' was in those days so cannot comment. Never went into the pubs, too young and dad would have caught me has he frequented the Smythe's most opening hours. However did help mum with her cleaning there as a kid, moved out of the the area August '72.Go back now and then, but most of the old places have gone, although Copley Hill and Armley haven't changed that much!!

simonm

Post by simonm »

The whole area around Copley hill is getting well overgrown now or rebuilt. The old cattle market wall is still standing and I'm pretty sure there is a beasts head on it someplace. I really should get the camera out and take a few shots for the posts I'm doing, to help the descriptions. Aye Ravey, I did know about the "exotic dancers" but stayed well away so as not to corrupt my healthy and pure mind. The pub by the cattle market must have gone a long time ago, I don't remember that one at all!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

What a repulsive thought! Exotic dancers from Leeds. :-OM&S undies, puce coloured legs and their hair in rollers, whilst gyrating and smoking a cig. EEEWWW, YEUK!!!No wonder Ravey needed another pint! :-)
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

A trawl through Leodis brought up this - not a very good picture , but the Tetley pub at the end of the street (Danube Place) is apparently the Cattle Market, although you cant see the sign. The market itself.was on the land between Gelderd Road and Whitehall Road. The pub is on the north side of Gelderd Road, just after it crosses whitehall Road and so is on the south side of the market. The market was officially called the Victoria Cattle market and opened in 1886 - it must have closed in the late 60s early 70s - does anybody know more accurately? I cant find anything on google![previously(1855-1886) the market had been held on North Street (Smithfield Market) where Lovell park is now - there was a pub here too - the Smithfield hotel, a building which remarkably survives though much altered. ]I have an A-Z of Leeds from the early 1970's which has the 'Danubes' on it. It also shows a short street that ran between Gelderd and Whitehall road at what must have been the north-eastern end of the market that was called 'Smithfield Street'. Perhaps the market was originally called 'Smithfield market', like the one on North Street (named after the London Market, one assumes) - and was given the name 'Victoria market' later, maybe to celebrate the diamond jubilee of 1897?
Attachments
__TFMF_n15cfbrszahwzwiz2k2khs55_44acc559-969d-4208-b60e-845f8cfeae7f_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_n15cfbrszahwzwiz2k2khs55_44acc559-969d-4208-b60e-845f8cfeae7f_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (24.95 KiB) Viewed 9375 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.