The Old Lion & Lamb in Seacroft

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
minksymoo

Post by minksymoo »

chameleon wrote: My Great Grandfather was Samuel Dobson, Hay & Corn merchant of the long - gone Poplar House which stood on the corner opposite the Lion & Lamb, latterly a Netto store.....(I’d be very interested to hear of any information you might have on any of the people who have been involved with the pub – in particular, I wonder if you have a good copy of a picture of the Lion and Lamb with a horse drawn ‘bus; standing outside. There is at least one man in the picture and you can just see the sign over the door giving the landlords name which I think may have included ‘Dennison’, perhaps as a second name?)If there is anything else I can help with please let me know – We’re really looking forward to seeing your pictures and if you do have any names of local people in the various scrapbooks etc you have found as these could well be our relations!'     WOW!!!! We had a great time reading this this morning!!!! We are definitely going to compile all this amazing information and display it in the house.....we are considering changing the name to the The Old Lion and LambWe don't have a photo of the pub with the horse drawn bus but we do have a painting of it that I think may have come from a photo like that- I'll take a pic of it today and put it on Flikr.We are going to put in a concerted effort with the new Bar room after New Year and then set a few dates for anyone who wants to see inside the house and have a look at the scrapbook to come along.If you are local there's no need to wait for that, if you can handle 3 yappy dogs and a lot of abandoned paint pots then you are more than welcome to pop in and come have a look over Xmas- just email me on [email protected]    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

liits wrote: chameleon wrote: liits wrote: Chameleon, I may be able to help you with the Dobson's of the Old Red Lion but I'll need a couple of days. Seems there's always something new to be found liits, anything and everything is of value as you appreciate. A puzzle we have we have is the confusion surounding the note in the census of two different buildings, a distance apart, on the census walking route, both seemingly named the Lion & Lamb. Must be worth looking into. I think I know the error you mean and it's an error on the part of the census compiler using the same premises name twice. Should, I think [from memory] have been the Rising Sun. I check, though. That is our assumption of the most likely explanation liits.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

minksymoo wrote: chameleon wrote: My Great Grandfather was Samuel Dobson, Hay & Corn merchant of the long - gone Poplar House which stood on the corner opposite the Lion & Lamb, latterly a Netto store.....(I’d be very interested to hear of any information you might have on any of the people who have been involved with the pub – in particular, I wonder if you have a good copy of a picture of the Lion and Lamb with a horse drawn ‘bus; standing outside. There is at least one man in the picture and you can just see the sign over the door giving the landlords name which I think may have included ‘Dennison’, perhaps as a second name?)If there is anything else I can help with please let me know – We’re really looking forward to seeing your pictures and if you do have any names of local people in the various scrapbooks etc you have found as these could well be our relations!'     WOW!!!! We had a great time reading this this morning!!!! We are definitely going to compile all this amazing information and display it in the house.....we are considering changing the name to the The Old Lion and Lamb to give it back some sense of community history : )We don't have a photo of the pub with the horse drawn bus but we do have a painting of it that I think may have come from a photo like that- I'll take a pic of it today and put it on Flikr.We are going to put in a concerted effort with the new Bar room after New Year and then set a few dates for anyone who wants to see inside the house and have a look at the scrapbook to come along.If you are local there's no need to wait for that, if you can handle 3 yappy dogs and a lot of abandoned paint pots then you are more than welcome to pop in and come have a look over Xmas- just email me on [email protected], we are only 10 mins away on the route to Thorner - your offer is very warming but I think it may be more fair to let you enjoy a (peaceful?) Christmas in your new home and call on you a little later.    

minksymoo

Post by minksymoo »

Leodian wrote: Fascinating scrapbook.The cheque dated 11 Nov 1976 for £257,935.62 payable to The Leeds Library was a huge sum for 1976. I wonder what it was for? The Leeds Library is a very old independent library that is still on Commercial Street in the centre of Leeds. I've had a look at the articles next to the cheque and found one that explains it:27th AUgust 1976£1/4M offer for Leeds LibraryThe future of the 208 year old Leeds Library will be secured for many years if the proprietors accept a £260,000 offer from an insurance company for a 130 year lease on the building.Its premises, in Commercial Street, is on one of the most valuable sites in the city and include the WHSmith's stationers shop at ground level.The library proprietors (shareholders) will consider the offer at the specia general meeting at the library on September 13. The Trustees are recommending them to accept.The offer, from Save and Prosper Insurance Ltd, is for the library founded in 1768 to lease the Commercial Street premises for 130 years in return for an immediate premium of £260,000 and at a rent which will not at any time be less than half the net income from the property received by Save and Prosper.Save and Prosper will also grant a lease to the library for the whole of the 130 years at a peppercorn rate. At present the ground floor shops and part of the library's basement are let to WHSmith's and United Drapery Stores Ltd (Alexandre) for terms expiring in 1984 and 2010 respectively.The leases currently provide the Library with a gross annual income of £23,500.In a message to all the proprietors Mr Trevor H Hall, the Leeds Library President, urges acceptance of the offer and points out that their advisors say it is an opportunity to secure the financial future of the Library, both from capital in income points of view.Leeds Library is the oldest proprietary library in the country and moved to its present premises in 1808. It is a Class One listed building as being one of historical and architectural interest......so I guess they took the offer!! And I wonder what happened to United Drapery Stores.

Si

Post by Si »

This is what Secret Leeds is all about. A fascinating thread. Thanks to all involved for a great read.

minksymoo

Post by minksymoo »

There's a great sketch of the library next to the cheque- I've taken a picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/minksymoo/ ... 8512659321

minksymoo

Post by minksymoo »

Minksy, we are only 10 mins away on the route to Thorner - your offer is very warming but I think it may be more fair to let you enjoy a (peaceful?) Christmas in your new home and call on you a little later.Regular SmileyWe have dogs, cats, chickens, lodgers and a large toad that keeps trying to break into the utility room to have a look at our washing machine.....there's no such thing as a peaceful Christmas in this house and a couple of visitors wont make any difference ha ha!

minksymoo

Post by minksymoo »

Mrs C I took a photo of that painting we have- does it look like the old photo you were talking about?http://www.flickr.com/photos/minksymoo/ ... 509779343/

minksymoo

Post by minksymoo »

Anyone know the artist? May be a local lad : )

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

minksymoo wrote: (The Leeds Library) in Commercial Street, is on one of the most valuable sites in the city and include the WHSmith's stationers shop at ground level. WH Smiths now the Disney shop.
The older I get, the better I was.