The Old Lion & Lamb in Seacroft

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

minksymoo wrote: Leodian wrote: Fascinating scrapbook.The cheque dated 11 Nov 1976 for £257,935.62 payable to The Leeds Library was a huge sum for 1976. I wonder what it was for? The Leeds Library is a very old independent library that is still on Commercial Street in the centre of Leeds. I've had a look at the articles next to the cheque and found one that explains it:27th AUgust 1976£1/4M offer for Leeds LibraryThe future of the 208 year old Leeds Library will be secured for many years if the proprietors accept a £260,000 offer from an insurance company for a 130 year lease on the building.Its premises, in Commercial Street, is on one of the most valuable sites in the city and include the WHSmith's stationers shop at ground level.The library proprietors (shareholders) will consider the offer at the specia general meeting at the library on September 13. The Trustees are recommending them to accept.The offer, from Save and Prosper Insurance Ltd, is for the library founded in 1768 to lease the Commercial Street premises for 130 years in return for an immediate premium of £260,000 and at a rent which will not at any time be less than half the net income from the property received by Save and Prosper.Save and Prosper will also grant a lease to the library for the whole of the 130 years at a peppercorn rate. At present the ground floor shops and part of the library's basement are let to WHSmith's and United Drapery Stores Ltd (Alexandre) for terms expiring in 1984 and 2010 respectively.The leases currently provide the Library with a gross annual income of £23,500.In a message to all the proprietors Mr Trevor H Hall, the Leeds Library President, urges acceptance of the offer and points out that their advisors say it is an opportunity to secure the financial future of the Library, both from capital in income points of view.Leeds Library is the oldest proprietary library in the country and moved to its present premises in 1808. It is a Class One listed building as being one of historical and architectural interest......so I guess they took the offer!! And I wonder what happened to United Drapery Stores. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Drapery_Stores
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

@ LiitsNeeds a bit of help please Chris.Fella called Peter Reid,aged 50 in 1841 census,Leeds.Described as Publican on Kirkgate.Any idea as to the premises?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote: @ LiitsNeeds a bit of help please Chris.Fella called Peter Reid,aged 50 in 1841 census,Leeds.Described as Publican on Kirkgate.Any idea as to the premises? Hope I am not butting in.1837 White's Directory West RidingPeter Reid. vict. Crown 74 Kirkgatehttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... PLAY=FULLI am sure you will get a more detailed answer from Chris

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: cnosni wrote: @ LiitsNeeds a bit of help please Chris.Fella called Peter Reid,aged 50 in 1841 census,Leeds.Described as Publican on Kirkgate.Any idea as to the premises? Hope I am not butting in.1837 White's Directory West RidingPeter Reid. vict. Crown 74 Kirkgatehttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... PLAY=FULLI am sure you will get a more detailed answer from Chris Cheers uncle mick.Its not one of those essential things,just a nice to know.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

liits

Post by liits »

uncle mick wrote: cnosni wrote: @ LiitsNeeds a bit of help please Chris.Fella called Peter Reid,aged 50 in 1841 census,Leeds.Described as Publican on Kirkgate.Any idea as to the premises? Hope I am not butting in.1837 White's Directory West RidingPeter Reid. vict. Crown 74 Kirkgatehttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... PLAY=FULLI am sure you will get a more detailed answer from Chris Spot on Uncle Mick. The only othes bit I can add is that he also appears in the 1839 Directory but has gone by 1842 Whites Directory [to be followed by John Clapham].The 1841 census was taken on 6th June and the 1942 Trade Directory [although not published until the middle of 1842] information was gathered from approximately August 1841 through until around the end of January 1942 so, for Clapham to have replaced Reid as the Licensee, Reid cannot have been there for long after the census was taken in June ’41. [Does that make sense?]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

liits wrote: uncle mick wrote: cnosni wrote: @ LiitsNeeds a bit of help please Chris.Fella called Peter Reid,aged 50 in 1841 census,Leeds.Described as Publican on Kirkgate.Any idea as to the premises? Hope I am not butting in.1837 White's Directory West RidingPeter Reid. vict. Crown 74 Kirkgatehttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... PLAY=FULLI am sure you will get a more detailed answer from Chris Spot on Uncle Mick. The only othes bit I can add is that he also appears in the 1839 Directory but has gone by 1842 Whites Directory [to be followed by John Clapham].The 1841 census was taken on 6th June and the 1942 Trade Directory [although not published until the middle of 1842] information was gathered from approximately August 1841 through until around the end of January 1942 so, for Clapham to have replaced Reid as the Licensee, Reid cannot have been there for long after the census was taken in June ’41. [Does that make sense?] Yes Cris it does make sense,once again thanks to you both

minksymoo

Post by minksymoo »

Thanks for the Christmas card Mr and Mrs C : ) We really appreciate the sentiment too.....looking forward to being able to have visitors round soon to our new Bar Room to relax with a pint whilst they thumb through the Scrapbook (now known as the Dead Sea(croft) Scrolls.Skirting board replacement today....Xmas Eve but the work never stops ha ha!And today we started planning for the name change with the Council register.....current favourite is The Lion and Lamb House     

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Any update on the restoration?[And some more pics from the scrapbook please!]

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

minksymoo wrote: We've had a quick internet scan and found that Davenport and Sons were bought out in 1989 and then immediately sold off. Owned by the Davenport Brewery 1931 to 1989 in As in:-Beer at home means Davenports! That’s the beer! Lots of cheer! The finest malt with hops and yeast, Turns a snack into a feast. Straight from breweries to your home, Why collect? We’ll deliver!Soon you’ll know why folks all say:“Beer at home means DAVENPORTS “!Delivered by lorry and Grandad kept his beer in the sideboard etc?    

minksymoo

Post by minksymoo »

Hello hello hello Welly welly welly, it's taking a little longer than we anticipated but we now have a bar in the front room and are heading out this weekend for the tables and chairs.Soooooo, how about either Saturday 11th Feb or Sunday 12th for a get together at The Old Lion and Lamb, try out the bar and have a look through the scrapbook?All secretleedsers welcome- let me know which date is the better for you and we'll go with the majority, if that weekend is bad for more than a few people we can arrange it for later in February.We're inviting the old owners Ken and Corrine Spink as well so they can help fill in the gaps in the history of the place and chat about what the initial restoration was like for them when they took it over from the brewery.One caveat......you must like dogs