White Swan pub on Call Lane.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took the photo today (Nov 4 2011). I wondered what it might have represented and on doing a search I found there used to be a White Swan pub on Call Lane. I have tried to find some information about it but have not readily been able to find any and to avoid looking through 96 pages in the Leeds Lost Pubs thread I would be grateful if someone could let me know when the pub closed and any other information on it. Thanks.It is nice to see that what I assume is an old symbol of the pub is being maintained.
Attachments
__TFMF_eg5bai45u5j2xyjt5wsbb555_c6c0abc6-7595-4df6-ba91-455d8de7ba0a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_eg5bai45u5j2xyjt5wsbb555_c6c0abc6-7595-4df6-ba91-455d8de7ba0a_0_main.jpg (424.47 KiB) Viewed 11586 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo I also took today showing the frontage of the building on Call Lane that is a bar but which I assume was once the White Swan pub.    
Attachments
__TFMF_kqqmf355fkw1wvfd1lorzp55_3d5009cf-55f7-428b-bfa5-63eaf5c6f684_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kqqmf355fkw1wvfd1lorzp55_3d5009cf-55f7-428b-bfa5-63eaf5c6f684_0_main.jpg (375.91 KiB) Viewed 11586 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo shows the nice stonework that also has an 1884 date that is high above the White Swan sign (it can be seen in my second photo above). I took the photo with the date on November 1 2011 and it was only when I downloaded the photos I took that day that I noticed the White Swan sign, which is why I took some photos today when I was in the centre of Leeds. I think I was so intent on the date that I never noticed the sign when I was on Call Lane on November 1st!
Attachments
__TFMF_kqqmf355fkw1wvfd1lorzp55_7220a7db-2e3e-4e98-bbdf-0ad569af19d5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kqqmf355fkw1wvfd1lorzp55_7220a7db-2e3e-4e98-bbdf-0ad569af19d5_0_main.jpg (414.91 KiB) Viewed 11586 times

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

used to be a prostitute pick up place in the 1980's as I found out by accident having wandered in for a pint being thennew to Leeds and soon realising why all these young women were with middle age men!    
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Steve Jones wrote: used to be a prostitute pick up place in the 1980's as I found out by accident having wandered in for a pint being thennew to Leeds and soon realising why all these young women were with middle age men!     Ooops!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: This a photo I also took today showing the frontage of the building on Call Lane that is a bar but which I assume was once the White Swan pub. THE WHITE SWAN!Better known as 'The Mucky Duck' The colourful clientele no doubt influencing the nick name. I sometimes went in there in the mid 80's, that was the days when you could find plenty of this type of pub around Leeds City Centre. The Robin Hood before It changed to the Duchess, The Mad House (Market Tavern) and The Whip e.t.c.The White Swan seemed to close at least 15 years ago now, It changed into this new bar thing whatever it is today. There were two main rooms in the pub, the main bar at the front, and a darkened black hole at the back, It had a disco going on in there in the 80's. Pitch black it was and resembled the Mos Eisley Cantina in Star Wars.The carpets were thread bare that had created little blackened footpaths, and on the most worn paths of the pub you could actually feel your shoes stick to the carpet.The Mucky Duck therefore being a very apt nickname for this lost old boozer of Leeds!             
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Leodian wrote: This a photo I also took today showing the frontage of the building on Call Lane that is a bar but which I assume was once the White Swan pub. THE WHITE SWAN!Better known as 'The Mucky Duck' The colourful clientele no doubt influencing the nick name. I sometimes went in there in the mid 80's, that was the days when you could find plenty of this type of pub around Leeds City Centre. The Robin Hood before It changed to the Duchess, The Mad House (Market Tavern) and The Whip e.t.c.The White Swan seemed to close at least 15 years ago now, It changed into this new bar thing whatever it is today. There were two main rooms in the pub, the main bar at the front, and a darkened hold at the back, It had a disco going on in there in the 80's. Pitch black it was and resembled the Mos Eisley Cantina in Star Wars.The carpets were thread bare, and in the most worn paths of the pub you could actually feel your shoes stick to the carpet.The Mucky Duck therefore being a very apt nickname for this lost old boozer of Leeds!      Cheers Phill. It seemed to have character (well of some sort!).

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Steve Jones wrote: used to be a prostitute pick up place in the 1980's as I found out by accident having wandered in for a pint being thennew to Leeds and soon realising why all these young women were with middle age men!     Oh yes, when they crossed there leg and with a smile would show you the heel of there shoe with their price tag on the bottom.The price tag not being the cost of the shoe, but the cost of their services they were trying to entice you into ha ha     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Leodian wrote: I took the photo today (Nov 4 2011). I wondered what it might have represented and on doing a search I found there used to be a White Swan pub on Call Lane. I have tried to find some information about it but have not readily been able to find any and to avoid looking through 96 pages in the Leeds Lost Pubs thread I would be grateful if someone could let me know when the pub closed and any other information on it. Thanks.It is nice to see that what I assume is an old symbol of the pub is being maintained. You would'nt have had to trawl through all 96 pages, Leodis - there are a couple of pics I took on page 4 of the thread.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

drapesy wrote: Leodian wrote: I took the photo today (Nov 4 2011). I wondered what it might have represented and on doing a search I found there used to be a White Swan pub on Call Lane. I have tried to find some information about it but have not readily been able to find any and to avoid looking through 96 pages in the Leeds Lost Pubs thread I would be grateful if someone could let me know when the pub closed and any other information on it. Thanks.It is nice to see that what I assume is an old symbol of the pub is being maintained. You would'nt have had to trawl through all 96 pages, Leodis - there are a couple of pics I took on page 4 of the thread. Cheers drapesy. I just seemed like it would be a long trawl to go through the entire 96 pages just in case there was a mention. Your 2007 (or possibly earlier) close-up photo of the sign does show that in 2011 it is still being regularly maintained.