White Swan pub on Call Lane.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
volvojack

Re: White Swan pub on Call Lane.

Post by volvojack »

Good Morning Ian,
I remember both of those murders and the wide publicity they received in the Yorkshire Post and elsewhere. It was quite rare in those days for murders to be commited, or so it seemed.
It was a great shame that computors and the instant technology we have today was not around then to help sort through all the data and information, true or false coming in to you and your offficers.
I know the outcome of John Speeds murder but what was the result of the Mary Judge murder?

P.s. On a lighter note Ian The Regent in Kirkgate was only a very small pub known for its good pint and from what i recall in thise days the Landlord (Jack Tinker ? ) would not have let "Brass Nails " in his Establishment.

Regards, Jack.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

The case remains undetected.

Ian

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

it is this murder that is thought to be one of the explanations for the strange feelings and sightings around the area referred to in another thread in the ghosts section.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Graham hey

Post by Graham hey »

White was always known as a prostitute haunt during my lifetime. It features regularly in novels by Chris nickson set in 1700s. In the books the pub is next to the Leeds police station and Chris nickson usually tries to be accurate on history of leeds.

phyliss77

Post by phyliss77 »

I am doing my family tree and one of my wife's relatives was Landlord at the Mucky Duck (white swan) in the sixties and early seventies. His first name was Mick but I cannot find his surname do you know it?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to Secret Leeds phyliss77 i should think one of our members can answer your question all the best Sid.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

DynamiteDaz

Post by DynamiteDaz »

phyliss77 wrote:
Fri 18 Oct, 2019 5:49 pm
I am doing my family tree and one of my wife's relatives was Landlord at the Mucky Duck (white swan) in the sixties and early seventies. His first name was Mick but I cannot find his surname do you know it?
My dad used to go in there sometimes I think so i've asked him if he knows

DynamiteDaz

Post by DynamiteDaz »

Just messaged him and unfortunately he didnt know the landlord

phyliss77

Post by phyliss77 »

ok thanks for trying. I have been told that this mick was at the white swan and then the Bulls Head in Holbeck but I dont know how reliable my information is, but would like to hear from anyone who used to go in these pubs in the late sixties and early seventies.