The Hope Inn North Street.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

liits wrote: There were a few more... Low Moor Side; certainly lasted into the 60’s. Reuben Street; closed 1914. Roundhay Road; renamed the Prince Arthur in 1873.The Licensing Register doesn’t indicate that Shades [Vaults] was ever officially known as the Hope Inn so I wonder where Leodis got the information from. But, as Leodis identifies, it was listed in the 1888 Trade Directory as Old Shades Vaults. Up until 1901 when the License was surrendered, it was listed in the other Trade Directories as Old Shades Vaults too. Looking at the photo a little more closely reveals the words “Wine” and “Shades” still above the front of the premises. My guess is that Leodis’ info may have gone on safari a little bit.     Cheers litts.It sure was a popular name. The saying "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" has come to my mind! Anyone that got lost on a Hope Inn pub crawl could have said they were "Hopelessly lost". Sorry for that attempt at a funny play on words.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

dogduke wrote: LS1 wrote: dogduke wrote: My wife read book sometime last year,a novel based in thisarea of Leeds about growing up in the early 2oth centuary.I believe that the Hope Inn-Hope Street area was mentioned,will havea look to see if she still has it. It's not the Button Hill book is it? No,don't think so,Button Hill is Chapeltown anyway. Just wondered, Button Hill talks about "Fleece" so though it may be the same as I wasnt aware of other books that were written in novel form about Leeds.Please can you post what the book is called as I would be quite interested in getting hold of a copy. Cheers.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Looking at the 1891 1/500 scale town map, there was a Hope Inn on Lands Lane on the East side, one property up from Commercial Street, opposite the entrance to Change Alley. It certainly was a popular name for a pub

liits

Post by liits »

Hmm, now I'm puzzled. It's the same location as the Leodis photo [note how part of the premises angles back from the pavementi both the photo and onthe map] and yet the same address as the Licensing Register. At least this corroborates the info on Leodis.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

LS1 wrote: dogduke wrote: LS1 wrote: dogduke wrote: My wife read book sometime last year,a novel based in thisarea of Leeds about growing up in the early 2oth centuary.I believe that the Hope Inn-Hope Street area was mentioned,will havea look to see if she still has it. It's not the Button Hill book is it? No,don't think so,Button Hill is Chapeltown anyway. Just wondered, Button Hill talks about "Fleece" so though it may be the same as I wasnt aware of other books that were written in novel form about Leeds.Please can you post what the book is called as I would be quite interested in getting hold of a copy. Cheers. The wife and her mate read/exchange a lot of books and I think ashe has this one at the moment,the author has apparently written several Leeds based novels.Watch this space
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Have just searched the library web site.Looks like "Hope Street"by Ken McCoy,copies of this and many othersby the same author available to lend.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Found a photo of The Hope Inn Vicar Lane which was next to the ABC / Ritz cinema
Attachments
Hope Inn Vicar Lane.jpg
Hope Inn Vicar Lane.jpg (181.74 KiB) Viewed 3853 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

uncle mick wrote: Found a photo of The Hope Inn Vicar Lane which was next to the ABC / Ritz cinema Good find, in a book per chance?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I guess its not anything to do with the 'Band of Hope'?! I dont know if its still there but there used to be a small blue enamelled rectangular plaque attached to the wall of a building down at the side of Leeds Bridge - near the other plaque about Louis Le Prince's early example of making moving images. The plaque said something about the building having been previously the site being the meeting place of a temperance (anti-drinking alcohol) movement called 'The Band of Hope', I dont know why this warranted having a blue plaque, but it wasnt the usual Leeds Civic Society kind of plaque. It always intrigued me as to why it was placed there. I havent been across Leeds bridge for a few years so as to notice if it was still there or not. Does anyone else know?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote: uncle mick wrote: Found a photo of The Hope Inn Vicar Lane which was next to the ABC / Ritz cinema Good find, in a book per chance? On Facebook Chris along with this one of the same pub
Attachments
Hope Inn.jpg
Hope Inn.jpg (90.14 KiB) Viewed 3853 times