Kirkstall Road - Public Houses

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
GrannySheena

Post by GrannySheena »

Hi guys/gals!I've only just logged on - you have been busy bees!!!I never dreamed you'd be able to come up with so much info.The overlay map is great! I thought The Viaduct must've been somewhere near the Rising Sun, but wasn't very sure.And the Licensing info is fantastic!It tallies nicely with info I have already.William was working in a mill in the 1861 census, so he must've taken over The Viaduct shortly after.As Sarah was still there in 1893, I may now be able to find her in the 1891 census - she has been eluding me, but no more!I shall be adding all this to my family tree ASAP than the whole family can see what you've found for me!Thanks ever so much to you all!Sheena

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Sarah is there on the 1891 census , with May and Nellie Hardwick, her granddaughters.

GrannySheena

Post by GrannySheena »

Thanks I found it!!My tree is called 'SPENCERWILLIAMS' and it's on ancestry.co.uk if any of you want to see it. I've added thanks to Secret Leeds and it's members for all your help over the last few days!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

liits wrote: The attached map overlay, if it works, shows the following pubs,A = The Viaduct InnB = The New InnC = The Milford InnD = The Rising SunAll now closed but at least the building that was the Rising Sunstill exists.     Darn fine piece of work there pardner.......

liits

Post by liits »

Thanks.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I went to photograph the closed Rising Sun today, only to find it open as an antique shop!Bemused lol     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I went to photograph the closed Rising Sun today, only to find it open as an antique shop!Bemused lol      It has been such for many months now Phill - a rather sad end to such a one time institution, and I presume permission for "change of use" was sought and granted eh ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Rising Sun on fire this morning Edit Sorry my link to Facebook does not work

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

uncle mick wrote: Rising Sun on fire this morning Edit Sorry my link to Facebook does not work Oh, so THAT'S what the news bulletins on the radio are all about - thanks uncle mick. I have to visit my favourite Post Office near the bottom of Haddon Road this morning so may have to complete the trip by "Shanks's pony" if the road is still shut. I suppose there will now be rumours galore about why the Rising Sun furniture shop has caught fire !! I passed only one day this week and caught a glimpse of a notice "New furniture" and thought that things might be looking up.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

http://tinyurl.com/d7k2ggl This may not work if you are not on Facebook