Leeds lost pubs

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

mhoulden wrote: The pub was there in 1956 and disappeared somewhere between then and 1965 according to Old Maps. There's this photo of Half Mile Lane on Leodis and some comments at http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL which suggest it was gone by 1959 when the housing estate was built:I had a look at the London Gazette but nothing of note happened on Coal Hill Lane or Half Mile Lane apart from the odd bit of roadworks. Something I did find that has absolutely nothing to do with pubs was an application for the West Yorkshire Gas Distribution Company to supply gas produced by the Yeadon & Guiseley Gas Company through Rodley, Farsley and Rawdon. The notice is at http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35943/pages/1267 and it must have been quite a challenge to do during WW2. Thanks for that mh.I thought that would be the time it disappeared.The photo on the link with a comment underneath is interesting in that it says that the field on the right contained a slag heap. Would that be coal slag?I know there was a pit in the area because I lived on Kirklees Knoll and shortly after the houses were built, the drive of a house in the street collapsed into a hole and Barrets ,who built them had to come back and pour soil and rubble down.(it was a ventilation shaft for the pit) They thwn capped it with concrete.
ex-Armley lad

simong

Post by simong »

stutterdog wrote: Thanks for that mh.I thought that would be the time it disappeared.The photo on the link with a comment underneath is interesting in that it says that the field on the right contained a slag heap. Would that be coal slag?I know there was a pit in the area because I lived on Kirklees Knoll and shortly after the houses were built, the drive of a house in the street collapsed into a hole and Barrets ,who built them had to come back and pour soil and rubble down.(it was a ventilation shaft for the pit) They thwn capped it with concrete. I'm trying to find a bit more about coal mining in the area but my guess is that there were mostly bell pits or shallow workings on and around the Knoll. There's a seam quite close to the surface that runs up as far as Ilkley and there are similar pits on Baildon Moor and other slopes of the river valley (mods feel free to move this somewhere else).

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

After the Skinners Arms on Sheepscar Street North closed down (around 2007ish) the building was eventually taken by the estate and lettings agency Handley Gibson. A 'Skinners Arms' name sign on one side was soon removed but a nice decorative piece remained. That was still there until recently when I noticed it no longer is (it is seen in this photo that I took last year on January 7 2012). The 'Skinners Arms' sign was where the Handley Gibson sign still is. I wonder if the decorative piece has been disposed or kept?
Attachments
__TFMF_gpdymvusikftihqp4ussnd55_fc149a8b-e406-4dc6-a089-77ca5b636ec9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_gpdymvusikftihqp4ussnd55_fc149a8b-e406-4dc6-a089-77ca5b636ec9_0_main.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

The Crooked Billet at Thwaite gate is closed, although there is a 'Sold' sign outside. Whether this means it will reopen as a pub I dont know. I also noticed, and I dont think it has been reported here, that the Punch Clock on the opposite side of the road has reopened after a long time closed. Bizarrely it has been renamed as the 'Crooked Clock' !?!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

drapesy wrote: Bizarrely it has been renamed as the 'Crooked Clock' !?! Could it possibly be a "transferred licence" and perhaps the Crooked Billet is sold for another purpose ???? - just a thought.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

stutterdog wrote: The photo on the link with a comment underneath is interesting in that it says that the field on the right contained a slag heap. Would that be coal slag?I know there was a pit in the area because I lived on Kirklees Knoll and shortly after the houses were built, the drive of a house in the street collapsed into a hole and Barrets ,who built them had to come back and pour soil and rubble down.(it was a ventilation shaft for the pit) They then capped it with concrete. It's colliery waste heaps, slag is the material that comes out of smelters and furnaces. The coalfield runs well to the west of Leeds although the seams get thinner and shallower.As they were shallow you could dig down easily to the seam and dig out the coal in bell pits. These were leased to people and the lease usually contained a clause that you had to fill them in after you finished.I'm surprised at the idea there would have been a deep ventilation shaft at any of the mines in Farsley, Calverley Horsforth and Rodley, none were deep enough or minded extensively enough.You can trace their positions on the 1850's OS maps, although as so many were backfilled years ago they are hard to trace now.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Passing on Duncan Street today I noticed there was scaffolding at the Duncan pub, which did not look to be open (though it could have been). I was on a bus and could not look well enough to see if it was related to work on the pub or if it was a sign that it may have closed and work was going on for new use. Does anyone know?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

loinerchris

Post by loinerchris »

Hi leodian as far as i know the duncan still is open i past on friday and the were the usual clientelle having a cig in the doorway! On another point ive just passed the albion at armley and someone in their wisdom has decided to box in the old sign with plywood. A travesty!!

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

BLAKEY wrote: drapesy wrote: Bizarrely it has been renamed as the 'Crooked Clock' !?! Could it possibly be a "transferred licence" and perhaps the Crooked Billet is sold for another purpose ???? - just a thought. I heard it is the same people that moved from the Crooked Billet and the slight change of name was for some 'continuity' I suppose if it is usually referred to as 'the clock' it won't really make a difference?

jim

Post by jim »

loinerchris wrote: ive just passed the albion at armley and someone in their wisdom has decided to box in the old sign with plywood. A travesty!! It's not boarded up loinerchris, they removed the old sign first. I posted on this at the time/s (it was removed in two goes, widely separated) on the "Signs of Old Leodis" thread.Hopefully it will return, as the plans (also on that thread) include a statement that it would be retained.