Leeds lost pubs

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
liits

Post by liits »

Does it say Ward or Waudby?The present building which incorporates the Duncan was opened in 1883. At the time, the premises was known as Waudby’s [as was the previous premises], after the company that owned it, William Waudby & Sons, Wine and Spirit Merchants.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... _171814The name was changed again on the 13th June 1931 to Hellewell’s, again, named after the company who owned it, Benjamin Hellewell, Wine & Spirit Merchants - a very old Leeds firm.It wasn’t officially known as the Duncan until 4th December 1962.This must be the only Sam Smith’s pub in town that hadn’t been a McQuat’s house.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

P77 28.12 liits wrote: Following on from Drapsey’s Facebook post about the “mystery pub” in Chapel Allerton.....after the turn of the century.From top to bottom....[in red] The Queens Arms – replaced in 1931 by the current premises, although the building survives.[in green] The Regent[in red] The Black Swan – Drapsey’s mystery pub.[in green] The Nag’s Head[in red] The Bay Horse – closed 1873 but the building survived for many years as a private residence.     That's brilliant, never knew of the Queens Arms and think it kind of touching that (what were) 'Urinals' now seem to be Majestic Wine, sort of history putting something back I can vaguely remember Gledhow Lane going all the way through to the Nags like an old Village Street, but only ever Nags and Regent in my time.    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

liits wrote: Does it say Ward or Waudby?The present building which incorporates the Duncan was opened in 1883. At the time, the premises was known as Waudby’s [as was the previous premises], after the company that owned it, William Waudby & Sons, Wine and Spirit Merchants.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... _171814The name was changed again on the 13th June 1931 to Hellewell’s, again, named after the company who owned it, Benjamin Hellewell, Wine & Spirit Merchants - a very old Leeds firm.It wasn’t officially known as the Duncan until 4th December 1962.This must be the only Sam Smith’s pub in town that hadn’t been a McQuat’s house.     Deffo Ward Room. I wondered the same thing myself when I saw it the other day.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers liits and LS1 for your replies to my query about what is the Ward Room at the Duncan. Intriguing, so I hope someone will know.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

Ward room:-1) The quarters assigned to the officers (except the captain) of a warship.2) The officers of a warship collectively excepting the captain.Don't know if these definitions are relevant to the query, but it's a possibility. Duncan was, after all, an admiral, and had a succession of warships named after him.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Jim. That does seem a very likely connection.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Probably old news to some - but I think it went unreported here. The Bull's Head in Holbeck is closed and shuttered.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/yorkshire/leeds.htmlI found this national website about closed pubs; the Leeds section (above) has one or two older closures as well as the more recent ones we're all aware of. It also has some errors, such as mistaking the Central Doss House - sorry, Central Hotel in New Briggate for a pub, but don't worry, I've already put them straight on that one.
The older I get, the better I was.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

yorkiesknob wrote: The Rising Sun Kirkstall Road.No longer a second hand furniture store, now waiting for its next adventure It is still a second hand furniture store and is not boarded up, nor was it in December- so the reason for this post eludes me
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Drapesy, my bad if its still a second hand shop. My info was 3rd hand and a bit hard to authenticate from over here in Brisbane.Cheers Yorkie
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.