merrion centre

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
stevief

Post by stevief »

Going back to the 70's,pre Chaplins or Tap & Spile it was called TheHighlander and sold,I believe,Camerons beer.They even named a film after it.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

That was it!! the highlander!!, awful sweet beer i remember, I remeber also at the other side near the hoffbrau house which later became yell, the pub we used to call the theepenny bit pub because of its shape, it was called the general wade, it was revamped in 1979 and remamed the nautical wheel, i think nowadays it could be called the box office. On the same side a bit further down near the mad flying machine was the wayfinder, i think its been renamed a few times since then, and i remember the night spot upstairs, i first knew it as the mecca locarno, then it became tiffanys, then ritzys, no idea what its called now but when it was tiffanys in the late 70`s you couldnt get in unless you wore a shirt and tie, and it had a seperate part upstairs called bali hi, it was dark and dingy up there, and i remember the chinese resteraunt outside the bali hi....good times.

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

As I understand it, Ritzy's in now part of Oceania - when we were in one of it's many bars watching the world cup on the big screen, someone remarked that we were standing in the old Ritzys. Immediately my feet started sticking to the floor and I started craving a nasty burger from a non-existant food bar in the corner.Very weird!!!

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Sorry - duplicate post!