Wartime Leeds pubs

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
LS13

Post by LS13 »

I was looking at a book of pictures of old Leeds and saw one of a group of women in uniform dancing their way up Albion Street on VE Day. The caption speculates that they may have come from the Naafi club. Where was that? I presume it was a club just for armed forces members?I also remember my mother saying that Leeds was 'off limits' to US and Canadian focres personnel for much of the war as it was known as 'sin city'. Apparently the old Robin Hood which became the Duchess was a well known dodgy boozer of the time with plenty of , er , friendly local girls looking for a yank for the night!

liits

Post by liits »

According to my Father, the NAAFI was on the corner at the junction of Albion St & Albion Place. It later became the YMCA. He remembers going there to get cheap cigs, although he didn't smoke, which he gave to my Grandfather. Tins of 50 Woodbine.

wsmith

Post by wsmith »

My Grandad has lived in Birmingham, then Manchester, all his life, but did his national service in Otley just after the war. They would come into town on nights off. He tells me that they used to refer to City Square as 'Titty Square' because of partially clad statues. Very risque in those days, no doubt!He never mentions any pubs, but always speaks very fondly of Harry Ramsden's, from the days before it became a chain.