Leak Street flats

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
carith

Post by carith »

I lived in the leekies in the 70s until mid 79. Was there some filming carried out in early 79 think it was near the library, for a series for TV called the Carpetbaggers.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

carith wrote: I lived in the leekies in the 70s until mid 79. Was there some filming carried out in early 79 think it was near the library, for a series for TV called the Carpetbaggers. Carith, I remember the Sandbaggers with Roy Marsden on TV back in the late 70s. It was made by YTV. Was that it?

carith

Post by carith »

Carith, I remember the Sandbaggers with Roy Marsden on TV back in the late 70s. It was made by YTV. Was that it?

carith

Post by carith »

Sorry meant to say to jdbythesea yes.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Here's some info and photos of the flatshttp://fields.eca.ac.uk/gis/?tag=slab-block    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

I remember the complex (having been emptied of tenants) being used as "emergency" student accommodation for one academic year when the University was expanding in the early 1980s and the intake of students exceeded the available space in halls of residence. I imagine that proud parents transporting their offspring to Leeds in Freshers' Week wouldn't have been impressed!

BJF

Post by BJF »

Tasa wrote: I remember the complex (having been emptied of tenants) being used as "emergency" student accommodation for one academic year when the University was expanding in the early 1980s and the intake of students exceeded the available space in halls of residence. I imagine that proud parents transporting their offspring to Leeds in Freshers' Week wouldn't have been impressed! It was used for several years as "Hunslet flats"

yorkie55

Re: Leek Street flats

Post by yorkie55 »

Hello everyone, I'm on a mission which I think is impossible. I am trying to trace a Tom Doyle who lived in Milner Chase in 1973. Am I right in thinking this address was part of the Leek Street flats- the Hunslet Grange development? I think in 1973 he was about 30-36 years old but possibly a bit older. I would be grateful for any information at all however small. Thanks

buffaloskinner

Re: Leak Street flats

Post by buffaloskinner »

Yes Milner Chase was part of Leek Street, lived at Leek Street for 10 years but don't know a Tom Doyle
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

yorkie55

Re: Leak Street flats

Post by yorkie55 »

Hi buffaloskinner - many thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure if anyone would notice my post. I've never posted anywhere before so I'm a complete newbie! I only have Tom Doyle's Milner Chase address from back in 1973 and my estimate of his age would make him somewhere between 74 - 80 or possibly a little older now. I knew it was a long shot posting here but it's amazing what the internet can find for you. Ten years ago with my very first email to the USA I found my cousin! I have tried Facebook but there are thousands of Tom Doyles (assuming he is still alive of course) and I have no idea where he now lives. This site seemed my best shot in case friends or family saw it. Is there any way I can contact other posters on this site directly as I see some lived in the flats too and they may not log on? Once again many thanks for replying. Yorkie55