The four Leeds pubs of the Apocalypse

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
franco

Post by franco »

Reflecting back over the numerous splendid links on Secret Leeds, I have often found myself gripped by the thrilling tales of legendary fearsome city centre pubs now lost in the mist of time. For instance who can forget the gibbering, bedlam like insanity of the Market Tavern, the paranoid raw hostility of The Whip, and the marrow freezing satanic vibrations deep within the Nags Head.Do we still have the equivalent in our sophisticated city today? Four potential, not so public houses spring to mind. The Duncan, The Regent, The Elliott and The Old Royal Oak. All seem to possess that "dark ambience", all seem to be populated by snaggle toothed demons plucked from a Hieronymus Boch painting and all radiate the welcoming warmth of a haunted toilet in Krakow.Has anyone here had a pint in one of these places? What do they look like inside? Who in Gods name drinks there? I'm relying on you lot for information because I'm too scared to venture into one of these gateways to hell myself.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

C'mon Franco, be a man. Get of your ar5e and visit these fine establishments. You only live once and the experience will be one to treasure. xx    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

franco wrote: Reflecting back over the numerous splendid links on Secret Leeds, I have often found myself gripped by the thrilling tales of legendary fearsome city centre pubs now lost in the mist of time. For instance who can forget the gibbering, bedlam like insanity of the Market Tavern, the paranoid raw hostility of The Whip, and the marrow freezing satanic vibrations deep within the Nags Head.Do we still have the equivalent in our sophisticated city today? Four potential, not so public houses spring to mind. The Duncan, The Regent, The Elliott and The Old Royal Oak. All seem to possess that "dark ambience", all seem to be populated by snaggle toothed demons plucked from a Hieronymus Boch painting and all radiate the welcoming warmth of a haunted toilet in Krakow.Has anyone here had a pint in one of these places? What do they look like inside? Who in Gods name drinks there? I'm relying on you lot for information because I'm too scared to venture into one of these gateways to hell myself. Went in the Regent and the Old royal Oak (Diddly Dees),no problem.Wouldnt do the Duncan though,the women would knock ten bells out of me.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

sirjohn

Post by sirjohn »

did i tell you about the time the bloke landed at my feet after being thrown out of the Dunc? I was only going for the bus!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

sirjohn wrote: did i tell you about the time the bloke landed at my feet after being thrown out of the Dunc? I was only going for the bus! and i bet that was at 11 am as well wasnt it?Ive never gone past a pub during a week day at that time (11am) and felt intimidated by people 15 to 20 years older than me stood on the pavement,if they had hoodies on then theyd have asbos!!    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

The Mad house anyone?The old girl in the corner with the dodgy carrier bag? Anyone remember hehe!
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

Aaaaah the Madhouse!!!    I well remember being in the Madhouse and being TOLD that i wanted some fish n chips, there was a market trader going round everone, taking orders for fish n chips that nobody wanted!! but, there was something about this bloke that made you hand over a quid note...i never got me once and a breadcake, i supect nobody else did either. the beer was lovely in there though.

Si

Post by Si »

I remember many years ago passing the Nags Head, when a stool came flying out the door, and bounced across the pavement right in front of us. There was no other sign of a commotion, and nobody followed the stool to retrieve it. Very strange...

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Surely this has to be one of the best named threads ever, in the history of SL!!

Dobbie54

Post by Dobbie54 »

Once called into the Whip one early Saturday evening and the Landlady asked one of her patrons to leave the premises,when he refused with no more further ado she proceeded in giving him one of the best headbutts ive ever seen.He was still on the floor outside when we left.
Bramley born and bred