The four Leeds pubs of the Apocalypse

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Hannibal69 wrote: wiggy wrote: cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: carith wrote: Never mind the Nags head the Robin Hood next door was as rough as a bears bum but still the muts nuts to be in. posh pubs all,compared with some estate pubs...the courtier,sandford arms....wilsons arms??? Where have you beeeeennnn!!!!!! my pc is now up 3 flights of stairs,i need oxygen half way,from a couple of sherpas!!! The trick is to set up an Advance Base camp on the lower landing and spend a week or so there acclimatising to the altitude before pushing on.Please remember, you will need to save 2/3 of your oxygen for the descent. More pc users die on their way back down from the attic than on the ascent!!! lol All the best,Han. (Or have someone try to force a bottle of Adnams on him)    

wilfbarr

Post by wilfbarr »

cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: carith wrote: Never mind the Nags head the Robin Hood next door was as rough as a bears bum but still the muts nuts to be in. posh pubs all,compared with some estate pubs...the courtier,sandford arms....wilsons arms??? Where have you beeeeennnn!!!!!! cnosni the courtiers used to be called the burglar arms and any stranger that went in the wilsons woe betide him i think it's closed down now good wilfbarr
wilfbarr

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

wilfbarr wrote: cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: carith wrote: Never mind the Nags head the Robin Hood next door was as rough as a bears bum but still the muts nuts to be in. posh pubs all,compared with some estate pubs...the courtier,sandford arms....wilsons arms??? Where have you beeeeennnn!!!!!! cnosni the courtiers used to be called the burglar arms and any stranger that went in the wilsons woe betide him i think it's closed down now good wilfbarr Yep both the courtier and the wilsons are gone now.The courtiers now a lidl see-http://snipurl.com/tbyldand the wilsons is an overgrown field-http://snipurl.com/tbyk3
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Trojan wrote: Squatch_11 wrote: Me and my mates always used to go into the Duncan on a Friday night for a laugh and a pint of ayengerbrau, the proper mental stuff that would make you fall over after a couple of pints. Woe betide you if you needed the gents, it was horrific! Though at some point, it was tidied up so at least your lungs didn't burn. After a good few pints one week, one of the lads had split up with his girlfriend, and while telling us the tale, he started having a blub - while I excused myself to the bar, the other lad that was with us started getting chatted up by a bloke dressed as a pirate.We wondered after the event whether life got much lower than a bloke crying in the Duncan while his mate got chatted up by a poor mans Long John Silver.Happy days! I don't think I ever went into the Duncan, I used to go into the Star and Garter after playing Rugby in North Leeds and prior to meeting my girlfriend (wife now) at Sovereign Street. There used to be a pub opposite called the Admiral which was also Sam Smiths, as was the General Elliot. I wonder why there were so many Sam's pubs in such a confined area? Could it have some connection with Kirkstall Brewery - I remember an old regular at the Fountain in Morley (another Sams pub) saying it used to be Kirkstall Brewery. No I don't think so - Kirkstall brewery became Dutton's and then was taken over by Whitbread. The connection of these pubs to Sam Smiths is I believe (absolutely certainly in the case of The Admiral formerly the Central Market) via the McQuats Brewery that was at the top of Meadow Lane and was taken over by Sam Smith's sometime in the 1940s/50s. The Old Red Lion is also a former McQuats House.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

drapesy wrote: Trojan wrote: Squatch_11 wrote: Me and my mates always used to go into the Duncan on a Friday night for a laugh and a pint of ayengerbrau, the proper mental stuff that would make you fall over after a couple of pints. Woe betide you if you needed the gents, it was horrific! Though at some point, it was tidied up so at least your lungs didn't burn. After a good few pints one week, one of the lads had split up with his girlfriend, and while telling us the tale, he started having a blub - while I excused myself to the bar, the other lad that was with us started getting chatted up by a bloke dressed as a pirate.We wondered after the event whether life got much lower than a bloke crying in the Duncan while his mate got chatted up by a poor mans Long John Silver.Happy days! I don't think I ever went into the Duncan, I used to go into the Star and Garter after playing Rugby in North Leeds and prior to meeting my girlfriend (wife now) at Sovereign Street. There used to be a pub opposite called the Admiral which was also Sam Smiths, as was the General Elliot. I wonder why there were so many Sam's pubs in such a confined area? Could it have some connection with Kirkstall Brewery - I remember an old regular at the Fountain in Morley (another Sams pub) saying it used to be Kirkstall Brewery. No I don't think so - Kirkstall brewery became Dutton's and then was taken over by Whitbread. The connection of these pubs to Sam Smiths is I believe (absolutely certainly in the case of The Admiral formerly the Central Market) via the McQuats Brewery that was at the top of Meadow Lane and was taken over by Sam Smith's sometime in the 1940s/50s. The Old Red Lion is also a former McQuats House.     TA
Industria Omnia Vincit

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

A pal of mine who used the town pubs regularly in the 50's used to refer to "The Market Tavern" as "The Bucket of Blood". I think the pub was used by the slaughtermen from the abattoir across the road. Has anyone else heard it called this?
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Used to do a pub crawl in town doin all the pubs mentioned.ViaductDuncanAdmiralElliot Precinct NagsRobin Hood Vine Three legsTam O'shanterOak ScotsmanRegent Mucky DuckStart at 11.00 go for a scran at Half 3ish and then back on it again till 10.30Half in every pub up to about 8'Oclock and then on shorts.Some fantastic characters,good beer reasonable prices and if we were lucky we'd have a bit of a set to with some one.The Good Old Days Brilliant.
"always expect the unexpected"

Foxwood

Post by Foxwood »

This is a brilliant thread - I've not posted before but couldn't resist on this one.During the late 70's we used to do the tour on a Fri/Sat as did dozens of other groups of lads and lasses - Vine - Legs - Picadilly - Whitelock - Precinct - etc but we always interspersed it with random stops at the good beer pubs - Nags - Whip- Star and Garter - Templar etc. Unfortunatly the good beer pubs were also the dodgy ones where you kept you head down.As another poster has said however the strangest and most scary was the Robin Hood - I remember it as being like the tardis - really big inside and on a Sat night they always had a "turn" on that made the Britain got talent mob seem like superstars but they hardly ever finished as they got drown out or a brawl would break out. The thing was however that it wasn't the usual hard lads that caused the trouble - in the Robin Hood it was strange middle aged ( or older) blokes and women having domestic type fall outs - it would break and they'd simply get thrown out and everybody would just carry on as if nothing had happened....

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

In the sixties, the Eagle on North Street had quite a rep as a fighting pub. Only went a couple of times though.
Industria Omnia Vincit

wilfbarr

Post by wilfbarr »

the madhouse was main'y used by market traders i think it was called that as it was so busy and you had to shout to make yourself heard willbarr
wilfbarr