The four Leeds pubs of the Apocalypse

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

And dont forget the precinct that place must definitely make the list! I spent many a happy(debatable lol)hour following our old man around all these happy places in my mis-spent youth.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Hannibal69

Post by Hannibal69 »

wiggy wrote: cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: carith wrote: Never mind the Nags head the Robin Hood next door was as rough as a bears bum but still the muts nuts to be in. posh pubs all,compared with some estate pubs...the courtier,sandford arms....wilsons arms??? Where have you beeeeennnn!!!!!! my pc is now up 3 flights of stairs,i need oxygen half way,from a couple of sherpas!!! The trick is to set up an Advance Base camp on the lower landing and spend a week or so there acclimatising to the altitude before pushing on.Please remember, you will need to save 2/3 of your oxygen for the descent. More pc users die on their way back down from the attic than on the ascent!!! lol All the best,Han.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. But give him a religion and he'll starve to death, while praying for a fish.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

wiggy wrote: cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: carith wrote: Never mind the Nags head the Robin Hood next door was as rough as a bears bum but still the muts nuts to be in. posh pubs all,compared with some estate pubs...the courtier,sandford arms....wilsons arms??? Where have you beeeeennnn!!!!!! my pc is now up 3 flights of stairs,i need oxygen half way,from a couple of sherpas!!! So you've got one of them new 'tower' systems then wiggy?? lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Hannibal69

Post by Hannibal69 »

I think that we seem to be falling on stony ground tonight Brandy!!!Love,Han.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. But give him a religion and he'll starve to death, while praying for a fish.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Oh well Han,at least its peaceful love

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Brandy wrote: Oh well Han,at least its peaceful love
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Hannibal69

Post by Hannibal69 »

tyke bhoy wrote: Brandy wrote: Oh well Han,at least its peaceful love Quite right boys!!! And please god may it stay this way!!! It was beginning to feel like the car park of some dodgy pub/club, with it all kicking off, and me, no doubt inappropriately dressed, as ever, for the prevailing temperature/weather conditions, screaming "LEAVE IT.... HE'S NOT WORTH IT!!!!!" at the top of my lungs!!! Oh, the good old days!!!! LOL Night all,love,Han.

wilfbarr

Post by wilfbarr »

franco wrote: Reflecting back over the numerous splendid links on Secret Leeds, I have often found myself gripped by the thrilling tales of legendary fearsome city centre pubs now lost in the mist of time. For instance who can forget the gibbering, bedlam like insanity of the Market Tavern, the paranoid raw hostility of The Whip, and the marrow freezing satanic vibrations deep within the Nags Head.Do we still have the equivalent in our sophisticated city today? Four potential, not so public houses spring to mind. The Duncan, The Regent, The Elliott and The Old Royal Oak. All seem to possess that "dark ambience", all seem to be populated by snaggle toothed demons plucked from a Hieronymus Boch painting and all radiate the welcoming warmth of a haunted toilet in Krakow.Has anyone here had a pint in one of these places? What do they look like inside? Who in Gods name drinks there? I'm relying on you lot for information because I'm too scared to venture into one of these gateways to hell myself. frano it was called the madhouse in those days a lot of market traders went in their so did a lot of villains the beer was good though wilfbarr
wilfbarr

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

Me and my mates always used to go into the Duncan on a Friday night for a laugh and a pint of ayengerbrau, the proper mental stuff that would make you fall over after a couple of pints. Woe betide you if you needed the gents, it was horrific! Though at some point, it was tidied up so at least your lungs didn't burn. After a good few pints one week, one of the lads had split up with his girlfriend, and while telling us the tale, he started having a blub - while I excused myself to the bar, the other lad that was with us started getting chatted up by a bloke dressed as a pirate.We wondered after the event whether life got much lower than a bloke crying in the Duncan while his mate got chatted up by a poor mans Long John Silver.Happy days!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Squatch_11 wrote: Me and my mates always used to go into the Duncan on a Friday night for a laugh and a pint of ayengerbrau, the proper mental stuff that would make you fall over after a couple of pints. Woe betide you if you needed the gents, it was horrific! Though at some point, it was tidied up so at least your lungs didn't burn. After a good few pints one week, one of the lads had split up with his girlfriend, and while telling us the tale, he started having a blub - while I excused myself to the bar, the other lad that was with us started getting chatted up by a bloke dressed as a pirate.We wondered after the event whether life got much lower than a bloke crying in the Duncan while his mate got chatted up by a poor mans Long John Silver.Happy days! I don't think I ever went into the Duncan, I used to go into the Star and Garter after playing Rugby in North Leeds and prior to meeting my girlfriend (wife now) at Sovereign Street. There used to be a pub opposite called the Admiral which was also Sam Smiths, as was the General Elliot. I wonder why there were so many Sam's pubs in such a confined area? Could it have some connection with Kirkstall Brewery - I remember an old regular at the Fountain in Morley (another Sams pub) saying it used to be Kirkstall Brewery.
Industria Omnia Vincit