The four Leeds pubs of the Apocalypse

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
simonm

Post by simonm »

One of the best gaffes I dranjk in was the old Scotsman. What a place. Good old fashioned boozer. Very strange clientelle mind.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

My parents use to frequent most of those pubs. I once asked them why the Madhouse was so called and they said it was because there were stuffed animals everywhere and it looked mad, only years later did i find out it was on account of the clientelle O_o
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Crazy Jane wrote: My parents use to frequent most of those pubs. I once asked them why the Madhouse was so called and they said it was because there were stuffed animals everywhere and it looked mad, only years later did i find out it was on account of the clientelle O_o Used to use the Whip whenever Leeds Utd were at home.It was the best pint of Tetleys bitter in Leeds in the early to middle 60's.There were no women allowed in the place at that time.A real mans pub.There was a waiter called Steve,worked there years.He wore a long white pinny down to his ankes. My Dad swore by the place.
ex-Armley lad

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

LeeJ wrote: Played in a band and about 20 years ago we played in the Withers Pub. On entering the pub this bloke walked up to us and asked if we wanted to by some carpet. very wierd. Landlord said "alright lads, set up ya gear in front of them double fire doors then when it kicks off later you can get out quickly". We also played the Hill Top pub I think it was in the Hill Top Estate in Leeds, I remember a bloke getting up on stage, very piddled and trying to sing an Elvis song.with his arms around our singers neck. about 2 verses into the song he just tightened his grip on our singers neck, swung him into an headlock, I jumped on his back and all hell broke loose. The landlord threw the bloke out. An hour later we were doing our last set and this bloke walked back in. Picked up a round table and launched it in our direction. It smashed on the floor in front of us, table top went one way, legs went the other.Anyone remember the Primrose pub? dont know if it's still there or not but our band had some ar$e twitchy nights in there, I can tell you. The Primrose is still there thankfully.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

I maintain that this is the best ever (so far)named,and introduced thread,on Secret Leeds.It should win accolades for the title alone.What about the Compton???
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

[quotenick="cnosniI What about the Compton??? [/quoteI t's a bit flat now but I know what you mean,even worse at Rockies.Never have found the Duck & Drake intimidating..Not one for drinking in town these days but in the past pubs had a respectable(ish) lunchtime clientele and very different in the evening.The West Riding attracted city types in the best room at lunchtimeand was full of postman and railwaymen(no offence) between jobs and a varied selection of flotsam and jetsum,and the old lass behind the bar with the 'tash
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

dogduke wrote: [quotenick="cnosniI What about the Compton??? [/quoteI t's a bit flat now but I know what you mean,even worse at Rockies.Never have found the Duck & Drake intimidating..Not one for drinking in town these days but in the past pubs had a respectable(ish) lunchtime clientele and very different in the evening.The West Riding attracted city types in the best room at lunchtimeand was full of postman and railwaymen(no offence) between jobs and a varied selection of flotsam and jetsum,and the old lass behind the bar with the 'tash now known as bar works,run by a work colleague of mine.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

carith

Post by carith »

One for this collection, The Three Legs ont headrow. ??? Just thought of another The mucky Duck in the Calls.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: carith wrote: Never mind the Nags head the Robin Hood next door was as rough as a bears bum but still the muts nuts to be in. posh pubs all,compared with some estate pubs...the courtier,sandford arms....wilsons arms??? Where have you beeeeennnn!!!!!! my pc is now up 3 flights of stairs,i need oxygen half way,from a couple of sherpas!!!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I think you should add the Star & garter on the corner of Call lane and Duncan St.