Pubs and lost pubs in and around Otley.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

I don't live locally anymore but I've heard that a new pub, The Old Cock has opened in Otley. Anyone shed any light on this?

Si

Post by Si »

jdbythesea wrote: I don't live locally anymore but I've heard that a new pub, The Old Cock has opened in Otley. Anyone shed any light on this? It's mentioned on here several times, JD. The Old Cock just celebrated it's first birthday, and is opposite the bus station in an old cottage, previously the Curlew Cafe. It won CAMRA Leeds best real ale pub of the year.It serves a changing selection of local ale and premium Continental bottled beers. It's rather bijou inside, but there is extra seating upstairs.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Leodian wrote: drapesy wrote: Doesn't seem to be much sign of life at the Royalty I've just looked at the Royalty website and saw this:-"The Royalty. We have now closed - we would like to thank all our customers for being loyal, we had a great time... hope to see you all again soon. Chris & Team 11 September at 09:40". I remember Her Majesty's Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977 included the lighting of bonfire beacons at high points throughout the land - the Chevin included. Parking was horrendous around The Royalty. I reckon that night must have been one of its busiest ever. It took absolutely ages to get home and I lived in Otley at the time.Sad to hear of its closure.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Si wrote: jdbythesea wrote: I don't live locally anymore but I've heard that a new pub, The Old Cock has opened in Otley. Anyone shed any light on this? It's mentioned on here several times, JD. The Old Cock just celebrated it's first birthday, and is opposite the bus station in an old cottage, previously the Curlew Cafe. It won CAMRA Leeds best real ale pub of the year.It serves a changing selection of local ale and premium Continental bottled beers. It's rather bijou inside, but there is extra seating upstairs. Thanks for the info Si. I know where you mean, I remember the cafe. I'll call in for a shandy when I'm next over.

Phips

Post by Phips »

Yup - sadly The Royalty gone. Bankruptcy/liquidation I understand. No doubt the Administrators will sell to the highest (residential? Indian Restaurant?) bidder.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

A heads-up for those that may be unaware of this excellent site/clubhttp://www.otleypubclub.co.uk/well worth a look!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Looking at this thread again I realised that I had used the'LS21' postal area as a cut-off, which I think is sensible. This means that 'The Chevin' is not included as it is in LS29 (just)However this also means I have overlooked the excellent 'Black Horse' at Askwith.Here is a picture of it to make amends Black Horse,Askwith nr Otley by drapesy1, on Flickr
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Red Lion is open again

Phips

Post by Phips »

Bit of an Otley update:Bad news first - Looks like we might lose the Ringers. It's on Punch's transfer list and has suffered greatly for lack of a smoking place (the yard belongs to the Woolpack - [how that ever got Arts Council Funding is another story]). Open only intermittently now but the Ring o' Bells still does put bands on. Visit it while you can.It would actaully make a lovely 'Old Cock' type pub.The Royalty has now been up for sale with a 'free of tie' leasehold for some time. Trouble is Fleurets want a fortune for it - presumably because of the land. Hopefully it's in the Green Belt so can't become a housing estate, but it would be tragic to lose such an iconic location to non-pub use. Residential hotel with bar for walkers/aviation spotters?. Fingers crossed.Now the good news - All town centre pubs will be 'Queen Elizabeth' for the Jubilee weekend(have you seen the photo of the original Prince Andrew re-naming back in 1986 in The Fleece tap room?).The Roebuck (re-named from The Spite) should open late June. North Bar has been given permission to open in the former 'WharfedAle' shop next to the Woolpack (the old boutique with the circular window). Life and good beer back to this dormant corner. More news and updates on www.otleypubclub.co.uk - why not join?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Good news - The Wharfebank brewery have taken over the Half Moon in Pool.