Green Man

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

lexipaul wrote: Linie wrote: My Great Grandma used to talk about the Green Man Public House in Hunslet.My Mum remembers her talking about a race track or trotting track behind the pub. Looked on Leodis but doesn't mention anything.Can anyone shead any light on it Thanks My great great great grandad ran it until God knows when. His name was Squire Bailey, his wife was Clara Eleanor Bailey nee Simpson. It was called the Green Man Hotel in the photo I have from around 1925. He shows as being there from the 1901 census records but wasn't there in 1891 so somewhere in those ten years he took it over. They had 5 children, Lily Sophia Jane Bailey, Eleanor Beatrice Bailey, William Simpson Bailey, May Simpson Bailey and Harry Simpson Bailey.Any help you could give me about these members of family would be great!! GREEN MAN INN    41 Church Street Hunslet1850's    Henry Toogood1861    W H Varley1870    J W Asquith1880’s-90’sWilliam Mariner    (1909 John Percy Mariner ‘Green Man’ Dewsbury Road)1901    Squire Bailey born 1857 Leeds    Clara (nee Simpson) wife of born 1859 Leeds    Lily Sophie Jane daughter of born 1879 Leeds    Eleanor Beatrice daughter of born 1880 Leeds    William Simpson son of born 1881 Leeds    Harry Simpson son of born 1884 Leeds    May Simpson daughter of born 1886 Leeds1947    Mrs Ethel BoltonGREEN MAN    182 Dewsbury Road1834    William Wright1837    Henry Wright1840’s-50’sJonathan Woolley1860’s-70’sC Garnett1888    James H Fieldhouse                (1880’s-90’s George Fieldhouse 'Old Peacock' Lowfields Road)1895    Thomas Ford1909    John Percy Mariner    (1880’s William Mariner ‘Green Man’ Church Street Hunslet)1947    George William Norwoodthats all I have though any info gratefully receivedjimbo

skippy

Post by skippy »

that is a good clear photo of the green man pub on church st hunslet i remember as a small kid going to the pawn shop next door with my mum long before it was changed to a cafe
brenda littlejohn

skippy

Post by skippy »

just remembered the name of the pawn shop it was moodys its so long ago
brenda littlejohn

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Scandy Bramley wrote: Parksider - dunno if you know owt about keeping a pub, back then? "Mixed" was all the remains left in customers' glasses (along with all their spit, bacteria and fag ash), that went into the slops trough - and was recycled as mixed... :-O !!!!The H & S boys would have closed every pub going, if they'd been around then!Once I found that out, I decided it was better to stick to mild, or bitter if I wanted to get really hammered! It's a wonder mixed drinkers didn't all die of E.Coli or other weird diseases! :-)))Sorry - hope I didn't put you off yer tea? :-O Hey - come on ! A pint of mixed was a half of bitter with a half of mild in every pub I went into in the 1960s !
roundhegian

PJ

Post by PJ »

roundhegian wrote: Scandy Bramley wrote: Parksider - dunno if you know owt about keeping a pub, back then? "Mixed" was all the remains left in customers' glasses (along with all their spit, bacteria and fag ash), that went into the slops trough - and was recycled as mixed... :-O !!!!The H & S boys would have closed every pub going, if they'd been around then!Once I found that out, I decided it was better to stick to mild, or bitter if I wanted to get really hammered! It's a wonder mixed drinkers didn't all die of E.Coli or other weird diseases! :-)))Sorry - hope I didn't put you off yer tea? :-O Hey - come on ! A pint of mixed was a half of bitter with a half of mild in every pub I went into in the 1960s ! Well said roundhegian.A good pint of mixed was not to be sniffed at.Tommy Wass always had a good dring in there.

simonm

Post by simonm »

A pint of mixed, is as you rightly say, half of Bitter and half of Mild. However, there were a hell of a lot of landlords who would stick the dregs from glasses, drip trays etc and filter back into the mild. Hence Scandy's assumption!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

moggy

Post by moggy »

Skippy i thought the pawn shop in hunslet was called beethams or at least it was in the sixties, they also had one at the bottom of beeston hill.

Si

Post by Si »

JimboWhere do you get the list of pub landlords from? I come from a long line of publicans, and would love to know all the boozers they ran!ThankyouSi

skippy

Post by skippy »

moggy wrote: Skippy i thought the pawn shop in hunslet was called beethams or at least it was in the sixties, they also had one at the bottom of beeston hill. the pawn shop you are talking about was just up the road from moodys near the anchor pub it was around the year 1950s
brenda littlejohn

skippy

Post by skippy »

moggy wrote: Skippy i thought the pawn shop in hunslet was called beethams or at least it was in the sixties, they also had one at the bottom of beeston hill. the pawn shop you are talking about was just up the road from moodys near the anchor pub it was around the year 1950s
brenda littlejohn