A metaphor for modern Britain?

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Kirkstall, October 2008. Boarded - up pub, bookmakers (open), closed down Post Office.Need I say more?
Attachments
__TFMF_aykpi4ik214hdu45jdaw0kvy_9b63577d-d119-4508-8c58-1f0cc1828449_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_aykpi4ik214hdu45jdaw0kvy_9b63577d-d119-4508-8c58-1f0cc1828449_0_main.jpg (214.89 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

It's a sad sight, Drapesy, but becoming more common.It's inevitable that local post offices will close, as the rapid rise in e-mail use etc is bound to affect them, and once the generation above mine has gone there'll be relatively few people who need them; I'm probably over-generalising, but many of the older folk (I'm 64 by the way) without PCs, mobiles and internet banking are likely to be the bread and butter of the post offices that are left. Except for odd things like using special delivery I hardly ever go in mine. It's really only the same syndrome as call boxes declining now that nearly everyone has a mobile.Pub closures are more serious. I don't drink myself, but regard pubs as important community amenities. Already more people seem to do nothing in their leisure time beyond watch crappy TV on massive screens while drinking cheap supermarket booze and smoking themselves to death. Some pubs have no-one but management to blame, but the rate of closure is quite shocking.How long d'you reckon betting shops will last in these days of internet gambling? In my very limited experience they're quite cheerless places.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

The "covered up" Post Office sign is a metaphor in itself. A different shade of green paint has been used rendering the covering up useless, instead of painting the whole sign and doing a proper job of it.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

You're right, Si. Just serves to emphasise the Latin meaning of "post".'Ere. are you following me around this afternoon?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

Looks like it!!!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: It's a sad sight, Drapesy, but becoming more common.It's inevitable that local post offices will close, as the rapid rise in e-mail use etc is bound to affect them, and once the generation above mine has gone there'll be relatively few people who need them; I'm probably over-generalising, but many of the older folk (I'm 64 by the way) without PCs, mobiles and internet banking are likely to be the bread and butter of the post offices that are left. Except for odd things like using special delivery I hardly ever go in mine. It's really only the same syndrome as call boxes declining now that nearly everyone has a mobile.Pub closures are more serious. I don't drink myself, but regard pubs as important community amenities. Already more people seem to do nothing in their leisure time beyond watch crappy TV on massive screens while drinking cheap supermarket booze and smoking themselves to death. Some pubs have no-one but management to blame, but the rate of closure is quite shocking.How long d'you reckon betting shops will last in these days of internet gambling? In my very limited experience they're quite cheerless places. I think it is a shame. The government for me should transact all its business with inidviduals through Post Offices, in rural areas where banks don't have branches they should also act as cash offices for the various banks - the government could put a charge on the banks for this service. I believe that closing local Post Offices is another example (like Beeching) of British short termism.
Industria Omnia Vincit

simong

Post by simong »

To be fair, if you stepped a few feet towards the bookies you would also see that the Kirkstall Lights pub next door is now (probably permanently) closed, in preparation for demolition when the reconstruction of the district centre starts. I would think that William Hill's will close at the last possible moment, as long as it keeps making money. To the left the Kwik Save has become a sort of squatted market or something and the Farmfoods closed a few years ago, also in preparation for the alleged new B&Q and flats.I don't doubt that the Post Office was seen as an easy win to tick off by Post Office Counters, and won't be replaced when the area is rebuilt, making Headingley the nearest, a good uphill mile away.What's is interesting in the light of the financial apocalypse that is going on, is that Jon Cruddas has been advocating that if you're going to have a national bank, we might as well have a proper one again, that uses Post Offices as its outlets as the Post Office Savings Bank did (managed by the Bank of Ireland now, oddly enough), which would give the Post Office network a new lease of life, although it's probably a bit too late for most (Victoria Avenue in Rawdon is now an office, Kirk Lane in Yeadon has a few weeks left).

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Kirk lane post office in Yeadon is already closed

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

GIRO+BOOKIES+PUBI can see a vicious circle forming lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

simong

Post by simong »

Lilysmum wrote: Kirk lane post office in Yeadon is already closed That shows the last time I looked at the front of the Wharfe Valley Times