Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
tilly

Post by tilly »

liits wrote: Hi Tilly. You're right about the Union being at the end of the terrace of Vaux & William Streets. The Hope & Anchor was at the end of the next terrace but one, Brougham & Rippon.     Hi lilts Thanks for that when I lived there the Hope and Anchor must have been long gone.The mind plays tricks has you get older it was a great place to live there were still some houses with gas lighting sorry for going of kilt back to public houses.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Leodian wrote: drapesy wrote: Leodian wrote: lmhowe50 wrote: When did Hoagys EX Tam O shantys close. I noticed the all building empty American comic shop moved. I used to play pool upstairs in my 20s Go to cheap cafe on same block and my gran always bought her shoes on same block. Had egagement for cousin in 90s in Hoagys. Guess buiding coming down I have not passed the Eastgate frontage of the block that has Hoagys for a while so I was surprised when I passed by yesterday (April 11 2014) that all the businesses on that block seemed to be closed, presumably for the Victoria Gate development. I wonder if they are to be demolished?I never went into Hoagys Bar. My recollection may be wrong but did it used to be called Yorkshire Hussars (or was that some other pub) and possibly also the Marquis of Granby. I wonder what the inside of Hoagys looks like, such as does/did it have any interesting old features. It was the Yorkshire Hussar, then Tam O'Shanter then Hoagy's. The Marquis of Granby was a different pub, on the opposite side of the Roundabout. Going to the Victoria Gate development site today (April 15 2014) to see if anything has gone on I happened to notice the 'The Yorkshire Hussar' name above a door at what was Hoagy's. With the high boarding around the area it was difficult to get a good photo but this one is a zoomed-in one of the name. On page 5 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (May 30 2014) there is a photo showing the start of demolition at the area where Hoagys was. I wonder if the 'The Yorkshire Hussar' name carving/moulding has been preserved? A photo (and 2 related ones) of the name that I took on April 15 2014 is currently in a post of mine that day on page 28. There is a small photo on page 1 of the YEP today that shows a high view looking down onto the start of demolition.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

One of many photos on Facebook today courtesy of Leeds Civic Trust
Attachments
Hoages.jpg
Hoages.jpg (186.63 KiB) Viewed 4791 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

On Radio Leeds this morning the incessantly prattling Johnny I'Anson continually referred to Hoagy's as "at the bottom of the Headrow :(:( - for Pete's sake don't they ever check anything ?? - and that's a few steps from their building, but they don't seem to have heard of Eastgate. Also, throughout the same broadcast, we were informed that the pub was originally called the "Huzzers" - I imagine the brave war heroes to whom the name "Yorkshire Hussars" refers will be turning in their honourable graves !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: On Radio Leeds this morning the incessantly prattling Johnny I'Anson continually referred to Hoagy's as "at the bottom of the Headrow :(:( - for Pete's sake don't they ever check anything ?? - and that's a few steps from their building, but they don't seem to have heard of Eastgate. Also, throughout the same broadcast, we were informed that the pub was originally called the "Huzzers" - I imagine the brave war heroes to whom the name "Yorkshire Hussars" refers will be turning in their honourable graves !! Yes Blakey, I agree with you completely! Some of these young 'uns today have no sense of history at all! Why can't they research things when they want to talk about places like this?Spent many a Sat. night in this pub,The Hussars as we called it in the 60's. Not to mention the money!
ex-Armley lad

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo today (June 3 2014) of the demolition work going on at where Hoagy's ('The Yorkshire Hussar') was. It shows a man watering the area to presumably keep the dust down.
Attachments
001R.jpg
001R.jpg (121.28 KiB) Viewed 4790 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is another photo that I took today (June 3 2014). Spot the man working high up on the right. I wonder what he was doing? It looked a very precarious position, at least from my viewpoint!
Attachments
003R.jpg
003R.jpg (79.49 KiB) Viewed 4790 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a quick photo that I took when passing by today (June 13 2014). There may not be much immediately obvious difference compared to the photos that I took on June 3 but note that the interesting looking internal flues (?) that were to the top of the other photos have now been demolished.
Attachments
001R.jpg
001R.jpg (92.38 KiB) Viewed 4790 times

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

My old Mother used to talk about a Pub which was somewhere near Union St. baths, back of the Market and near the old Millgarth which my Dad used to take her in when they were courting in the 1920s. she never knew the Pubs name but it was locally referred to as "The Boarded Floor"" i wonder if it got that name because all the old Pubs had stone or flagged floors.

liits

Post by liits »

j.c.d. wrote: My old Mother ........ "The Boarded Floor"" ........ This name came up in the Lost Leeds Pubs thread back in September 2007[page 22, 11th message].