Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

Jay wrote: Update - Rising Sun, Kirkstall.Not writing to give everyone an update, but the latest on here is that it's a furniture shop.I went visiting the place today and it's all boarded up. Even the furniture shop sign was half ripped off.Does anyone know who the last owners were or the last landlord?Thanks for any help. It was badly burnt in a fire last year, had it re-opened or had you just not been past it since before the fire?Sounds like its been abandoned pending 'demolition as its unsafe' and eventual redevelopment. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-5662617 Story from last year

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Jay wrote: Update - Rising Sun, Kirkstall.Not writing to give everyone an update, but the latest on here is that it's a furniture shop.I went visiting the place today and it's all boarded up. Even the furniture shop sign was half ripped off.Does anyone know who the last owners were or the last landlord?Thanks for any help. the latest "on here" is certainly not as you describe-there's a whole thread devoted to the firehttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=4768it was a furniture shop at the time of the fire    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Linky Oik

Post by Linky Oik »

[quotenick="cnosni"] dogduke wrote: Anyway it was mad when they came in so we toddled off to the Kiln, then the Victoria, Robin Hood, Fish Hut,Yew Tree, Black Dog, and back to the Fish Hut. That's odd. I've wandered those pubs hundreds of times over the years and would add the Hope, Hampton, Eagle, Slip, Shepherd, etc. but I have no recollection of a Robin Hood in that area. Where was it? Is age-related memory loss finally getting a grip on me?

WiggyDiggy

Post by WiggyDiggy »

drapesy wrote: the latest "on here" is certainly not as you describe-there's a whole thread devoted to the firehttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx?ThreadID=4768it was a furniture shop at the time of the fire     I'd forgotten about that thread, have bookmarked it now thanks.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

[quotenick="Linky Oik"] cnosni wrote: dogduke wrote: Anyway it was mad when they came in so we toddled off to the Kiln, then the Victoria, Robin Hood, Fish Hut,Yew Tree, Black Dog, and back to the Fish Hut. That's odd. I've wandered those pubs hundreds of times over the years and would add the Hope, Hampton, Eagle, Slip, Shepherd, etc. but I have no recollection of a Robin Hood in that area. Where was it? Is age-related memory loss finally getting a grip on me? No Robin Hood in East Leeds, think the one on Vicar Lane was the only one within the Leeds boundary.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

[quotenick="j.c.d."] Linky Oik wrote: No Robin Hood in East Leeds, think the one on Vicar Lane was the only one within the Leeds boundary. Leodis has pictures of one in Hunslet in the 60s and one due to be part of the East Street Improvement Scheme in the early 1900s (1906). The improvement presumably involved clearance and I suspect the Hunslet one will have gone in clearances of the late 60s early 70s that led to Hunslet Grange/Leak Street
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Activity at the former North Leeds club today.Doors open and workmen erecting security fencing around site.Don't recall seeing any planning app though
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

The Dog and Gun appears to be shut nowThe North Leeds club looks set for demolition to be replaced by a Heron Foods store occupyingthe original land plus some more council land.The Sportsman is closed,probably for good.The rumour is thst the then manager handed back the keys.The place was burgled the same night.Items taken included - the security csmerss,as Private Eye would sayDoubles all round!. !
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

liits

Post by liits »

[quotenick="j.c.d."] Linky Oik wrote: cnosni wrote: dogduke wrote: Anyway it was mad when they came in so we toddled off to the Kiln, then the Victoria, Robin Hood, Fish Hut,Yew Tree, Black Dog, and back to the Fish Hut. That's odd. I've wandered those pubs hundreds of times over the years and would add the Hope, Hampton, Eagle, Slip, Shepherd, etc. but I have no recollection of a Robin Hood in that area. Where was it? Is age-related memory loss finally getting a grip on me? No Robin Hood in East Leeds, think the one on Vicar Lane was the only one within the Leeds boundary. There was a Robin Hood in East Leeds but it would have been beyond the living memory of any of us here.It stood at the junction of Timber Place and Cross Green Lane, at the end of East Street. A Ramsden's house the license was allowed to lapse at the beginning of 1906 in advance of the Corporation's street improvements. Unlike other schemes [Quarry Hill] there is no record of the freeholder, leaseholder & or licensees receiving any compensation.Leodis has a photo of the premises.
Attachments
200273_14020937.jpg
200273_14020937.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 53434 times

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

The Hare and Hounds at West Ardsley is closed and has a builder's sign outside. I used to live in West Ardsley, in those days the Hare was one of the few pubs that had kept its handpumps and as a result was in one of the first national Good Beer Guides. The last time I was in there - about three years ago - the handpumps were gone and there was only "Smooth" muck.