Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

dogduke wrote: The Dog and Gun is still trading but in Modays YEPwas a planning app for 7 flats and a ground floor supermarket.,he Sportsman,also still trading but is for sale Once went to the Sportsman in the early 80's and there was some big award thing going on (cant remember what) and the top prize was going to be presented by none other than Calendar New's Mr Alan Hardwick.I took a seat in the winwow, thepub was packed, all buzzing on a Friday night.There was some food on as well and that was getting tucked into by everyone else, whlist having a good old drink.I happened to look over my shoulder at a bus that had just stopped outside the Sportsman, a number 15 IIIRC, and off the bus, in his whistle and flute, came Mr Hardwick himself.But he was not alone, he also had who i assume to have been Mrs Hardwick in tow.Alan was in a suit that i suppose you could get away with on a bus, but Mrs Hardwick was done up to the nines, all make up, hair and a big fur coat, very overdressed for th pub.I jhave often wondered how Mr Hardwick "pitched" the gig to his missus. He must have bigged it up for her to get so dolled up for a pub on Stoney Rock Lane.Anyway it was mad when they came in so we toddled off to the Kiln, then the Victoria, Robin Hood, Fish Hut,Yew Tree, Black Dog, and back to the Fish Hut.No money, walked back to the Compton. Not sure why we never started at Cross Green and made our way back instead of the other way round!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

The Whinmoor (at Swarcliffe) which has closed, re-opened and closed again looks doomed.According to a pamphlet we had through the door the council are looking to buy it and use the site, along with the adjacent former St Gregory's school playing fields for "affordable housing" and "community use".If previous action regarding 'affordable' housing' is anything to go by it will involve developers getting their hands on the land and building £130k+houses the size of a small shoebox as is already being done nearby. But I could be wrong.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: The Whinmoor (at Swarcliffe) which has closed, re-opened and closed again looks doomed.According to a pamphlet we had through the door the council are looking to buy it and use the site, along with the adjacent former St Gregory's school playing fields for "affordable housing" and "community use".If previous action regarding 'affordable' housing' is anything to go by it will involve developers getting their hands on the land and building £130k+houses the size of a small shoebox as is already being done nearby. But I could be wrong. Why cant the council create some "Social Housing", give people the chance to get on the ladder whilst at the same time keeping a decent rent price.This would be competition for private landlords to keep their rent down and as a consequence would deter those people with excess cash to expand their property portfolios and adding fuel to the bonfire of house prices.Rant over
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Withou wanting to get political the fact is that the government limits how much councils can borrow and spend on council owned and run housing, wanting private associations to finance it.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

cnosni wrote: raveydavey wrote: The Whinmoor (at Swarcliffe) which has closed, re-opened and closed again looks doomed.According to a pamphlet we had through the door the council are looking to buy it and use the site, along with the adjacent former St Gregory's school playing fields for "affordable housing" and "community use".If previous action regarding 'affordable' housing' is anything to go by it will involve developers getting their hands on the land and building £130k+houses the size of a small shoebox as is already being done nearby. But I could be wrong. Why cant the council create some "Social Housing", give people the chance to get on the ladder whilst at the same time keeping a decent rent price.This would be competition for private landlords to keep their rent down and as a consequence would deter those people with excess cash to expand their property portfolios and adding fuel to the bonfire of house prices.Rant over A friend is looking to buy a house and looked at one of the newbuild 'shoeboxes' currently being built nearby. When he commented to the agent that it was a lot of money for such a small house he was told that they are pretty much selling them all to 'buy to let' landlords off plan, so the much trumpeted affordable houses for first time buyers seems to be a bit misleading. The next generation of unregulated slums? Perhaps this should continue on a different thread...    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Cardiarms wrote: Withou wanting to get political the fact is that the government limits how much councils can borrow and spend on council owned and run housing, wanting private associations to finance it. Yeah, i realise that Cardi, but why cant they (the government) see that this would benefit the country.

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Hoagy's, Tam O'Shanter. What was it called before being named Tam O'Shanter?PC

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Hussars maybe.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

PC - Dublin wrote: Hoagy's, Tam O'Shanter. What was it called before being named Tam O'Shanter?PC Hiya PC - Dublin.There is a photo in my post on 15-Apr-2014 19:55:28 of the 'The Yorkshire Hussar' name plaque, which I suspect may have been destroyed in the demolition of Hoagy's (it would be nice if it had been kept).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jay

Post by Jay »

Update - Rising Sun, Kirkstall.Not writing to give everyone an update, but the latest on here is that it's a furniture shop.I went visiting the place today and it's all boarded up. Even the furniture shop sign was half ripped off.Does anyone know who the last owners were or the last landlord?Thanks for any help.