Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
stonesey

Post by stonesey »

Decided to start this thread after going on the other ones about remembering old pubs/breweries/smoking bans/etc:I've posted this on the thread about the Fforde Green as well.Can't we start a thread of pubs that are closing now, in our time? In the last year/few months/weeks in the Beeston Hunslet Holbeck area the follwing have shut down:The Kings Arms at Holbeck, Spotted Cow also Holbeck, Malvern Beeston Road, Golden Lion bottom of Beeston Road(may be temporary) The Engine Hunslet -bottom of Old Run Road, The Railway, Balm Road,Hunslet to name but a few. Is it the smoking ban, the escalating cost of a pint, the brewery chain increasing the rent (usually after they've charged low one for 6 months to entice a new manager), the general cost of living increasing & more money needed for essential items -like FOOD ! Or a combination of all these. People don't socialize as much, probably for some of the above reasons.I'm in a darts & dommys team,& time and again we are having to play our away matches at home because our opponents pub has closed down. The Hunslet League will be under threat at this rate, or the season will be much shorter as various pubs close down & teams disband.Why not let us know if a pub has just closed down in your area. The results may be a bit shocking. Maybe we could send a petition to the breweries/our MP's/ the Prime Minister- but do they really give a **** anyway!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

The Summercross, Pool Road Otley closed for the second time recently and is boarded up.    Also in Otley The Red Lion and either the Woolpack OR the Ring o' Bells (not sure which of the two) are closing soon.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Hoppers-World!

Post by Hoppers-World! »

The ancestor is all boarded up i noticed too :-(

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Sadly im afraid we are witnessing a culmimation of a number of factors here.We are seeing the end of such establishments,which unfortuanately is beyond our control.This has been accelerated by the smoking ban,but only accelerated.The local pub/pubs have been in decline for a long time.Al we can do is try and preservr their memories,hence the work of the Drapesy,hallowed be his name.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: The Summercross, Pool Road Otley closed for the second time recently and is boarded up.    Also in Otley The Red Lion and either the Woolpack OR the Ring o' Bells (not sure which of the two) are closing soon.     Don't forget The Bowling Green too, Blakey. Still nothing happening on the site. However, as the pubs close in Otley, the place is going supermarket mad! As well as the existing Waitrose (formerly Safeway, and before that Presto's) a new Sainsbury's is being built (due to open December - opposite The Bowling Green) and Netto's is moving to a larger site, previously occupied by the Ford showroom. Does this mean something?

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Si wrote: BLAKEY wrote: The Summercross, Pool Road Otley closed for the second time recently and is boarded up.    Also in Otley The Red Lion and either the Woolpack OR the Ring o' Bells (not sure which of the two) are closing soon.     Don't forget The Bowling Green too, Blakey. Still nothing happening on the site. However, as the pubs close in Otley, the place is going supermarket mad! As well as the existing Waitrose (formerly Safeway, and before that Presto's) a new Sainsbury's is being built (due to open December - opposite The Bowling Green) and Netto's is moving to a larger site, previously occupied by the Ford showroom. Does this mean something? It sure does more cars

Si

Post by Si »

sundowner wrote: Si wrote: BLAKEY wrote: The Summercross, Pool Road Otley closed for the second time recently and is boarded up.    Also in Otley The Red Lion and either the Woolpack OR the Ring o' Bells (not sure which of the two) are closing soon.     Don't forget The Bowling Green too, Blakey. Still nothing happening on the site. However, as the pubs close in Otley, the place is going supermarket mad! As well as the existing Waitrose (formerly Safeway, and before that Presto's) a new Sainsbury's is being built (due to open December - opposite The Bowling Green) and Netto's is moving to a larger site, previously occupied by the Ford showroom. Does this mean something? It sure does more cars Yes, it's ironic, Sundowner. We won't have to drive to the new Sainsbury's - it's just over the road. However, crossing the road is going to get more hazardous with the extra traffic, and pulling a shopping cart (yes, the wife's bought one!)

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: BLAKEY wrote: The Summercross, Pool Road Otley closed for the second time recently and is boarded up.    Also in Otley The Red Lion and either the Woolpack OR the Ring o' Bells (not sure which of the two) are closing soon.     Don't forget The Bowling Green too, Blakey. Still nothing happening on the site. However, as the pubs close in Otley, the place is going supermarket mad! As well as the existing Waitrose (formerly Safeway, and before that Presto's) a new Sainsbury's is being built (due to open December - opposite The Bowling Green) and Netto's is moving to a larger site, previously occupied by the Ford showroom. Does this mean something? The Bowling Green situation is very strange Si, especially for Wetherspoons who don't normally "hang about" when gertting new premises ready for opening. Desoite rumours that, after nearly two years, it is now a dead duck seem to be unfounded and I believe that it is going ahead. The sticking point I think is in planning permission to demolish old property at the rear and extend backwards. I wish they'd get on with it though.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Is The Woolpack shut then?I usually go there for the Folk Festival to watch the various Morris sides etc and visit the excellent Wharfed Ales next door.I planned to do so this year.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Steve Jones wrote: Is The Woolpack shut then?I usually go there for the Folk Festival to watch the various Morris sides etc and visit the excellent Wharfed Ales next door.I planned to do so this year. Will try to find out for you Steve - I only heard by phone, and as I say I wasn't sure whether it was the Woolpack or the Ring o' Bells. Actually I would imagine the latter to be the answer - perhaps one of our Otley pals knows already ??