Pubs closing NOW- in our time.

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Steve Jones wrote: The Rosebud in Rothwell (on way to Carlton) is a good pub to look up Reggie and (so far) still in business! Not been in there for years mate. Used to get tiddly as a teenager doing the Carlton Easter Walk and had a half at each stop. Rosebud was one. There is a funny story associated with it involving a senior policeman and some wetback young PC's coming in to break up a lock in. Suffice to say that they were warned off repeating the bust as that was where the senior man did his boozing.I do fear for it though as it doesn't have anatural catchement area and probasbly loses out to the Half Way House to many drinkers from Leadwell Lane and to the Queen or Unicorn for those from Carlton..
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

ricky

Post by ricky »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Steve Jones wrote: The Rosebud in Rothwell (on way to Carlton) is a good pub to look up Reggie and (so far) still in business! Not been in there for years mate. Used to get tiddly as a teenager doing the Carlton Easter Walk and had a half at each stop. Rosebud was one. There is a funny story associated with it involving a senior policeman and some wetback young PC's coming in to break up a lock in. Suffice to say that they were warned off repeating the bust as that was where the senior man did his boozing.I do fear for it though as it doesn't have anatural catchement area and probasbly loses out to the Half Way House to many drinkers from Leadwell Lane and to the Queen or Unicorn for those from Carlton.. just remined me reggie if you could ? is there a little club on rabbit lane ? rothwell with a bowling green .
live every day as if its your last... one day you will be right !!!

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Looks like the Duke Of Wellington in Hunslet has gone belly up too. Also, we tried to have a band meeting at the Lord Nelson in Holbeck on Tuesday, but that was all shut up as well.

ricky

Post by ricky »

just noticed .the junction pub pudsey centre is boarded up.the dreaded FOR SALE SIGN. that was a good meeting point for a pub crawl in pudsey.

ricky

Post by ricky »

anyone out there with memories of the blue moon,bramley ?i worked behind the bar there early 70s.landlord was ken haigh and wife norma. i think ?mods & rockers days christ we saw some battles in the car park !!!the dave lee sound were regular on thursday nite.good days

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

ricky wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: Steve Jones wrote: The Rosebud in Rothwell (on way to Carlton) is a good pub to look up Reggie and (so far) still in business! Not been in there for years mate. Used to get tiddly as a teenager doing the Carlton Easter Walk and had a half at each stop. Rosebud was one. There is a funny story associated with it involving a senior policeman and some wetback young PC's coming in to break up a lock in. Suffice to say that they were warned off repeating the bust as that was where the senior man did his boozing.I do fear for it though as it doesn't have anatural catchement area and probasbly loses out to the Half Way House to many drinkers from Leadwell Lane and to the Queen or Unicorn for those from Carlton.. just remined me reggie if you could ? is there a little club on rabbit lane ? rothwell with a bowling green . Funny you say that Ricky, there is a bowling club up the Rabbit Trap, not sure if it has a bar, I guess it does as you see manya Rover 215 swerving down the gravel lane late on (ha ha). There was a pub many decades ago, there is a picture in one of my local history book. There is a football club (Rothwell Athletic and Squash club) also referred to the Rabbit Trap but the entrance is off Royds Lane but it backs on to the old Rabbit Trap lane and is seperated from the boweling club by a few new houses.

ads

Post by ads »

That would be the Bowling Green Hotel, appears on the 1891 maps, being refered to as club house by 1970. It would appear to have still been there until Lismore close was built. Originally it would have served the Bowling Green, Football pitch and cricket ground, again I presume until the squash club was built. I would hazard a guess that it was sold for a good profit by someone to make way for 4 or 5 extra houses on the development on the old Hargreaves tanker site. Interestingly enough I can't find any evidence (apart from local folk lore) that the access ever bore the name Rabbit Lane or Rabbit Trap Lane. Do you remember Rothwells first attempts at culture, with the bar / restaurant at the far end of Morrisons (Rumours I believe) opened by one of my old Rodillian teachers. It used to sell a rather foul but strong lager by the name of Tuborg.    Also the ill fated night (fight) club in the Marsh Street car park that is now Bodymania.As far as I can tell, the Bowling Green doesn't sell booze anymore - no licence on the site!    

ricky

Post by ricky »

cheers for that reggie. its been a long time since i was in rothwell. glad my memory still works a little.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

ads wrote: That would be the Bowling Green Hotel, appears on the 1891 maps, being refered to as club house by 1970. It would appear to have still been there until Lismore close was built. Originally it would have served the Bowling Green, Football pitch and cricket ground, again I presume until the squash club was built. I would hazard a guess that it was sold for a good profit by someone to make way for 4 or 5 extra houses on the development on the old Hargreaves tanker site. Interestingly enough I can't find any evidence (apart from local folk lore) that the access ever bore the name Rabbit Lane or Rabbit Trap Lane. Do you remember Rothwells first attempts at culture, with the bar / restaurant at the far end of Morrisons (Rumours I believe) opened by one of my old Rodillian teachers. It used to sell a rather foul but strong lager by the name of Tuborg.    Also the ill fated night (fight) club in the Marsh Street car park that is now Bodymania.As far as I can tell, the Bowling Green doesn't sell booze anymore - no licence on the site!     Ads, your dates are a bit off. Lismore Close is only 5 or 6 year old and was built ont he ols Smith & Robinson transport yard. The Bowling Green Hotel has not been there in my lifetime.The football / cricket club built it's first brick clubhouse in the 70'sreplacing a wooden structure which had been in place for some time. The squash club was built around 1980. Rumours was a restaurant / cafe downstairs and a club (only for a short while) upstairs. It was started by Rodillian art teacher Mrs Stott and her husband. It had a name change once and was Chameleons I think for a period. It's really strange that in the 35 years Morrisons has been nicely placed in the middle of Commercial Street that unit has probably been open for no more than 5 or 6 years. Anyone remember when the old Shoefayre shop was the original Wines and Spirits department for Morrisons?Also the nightclub in Marsh Street Car Park was originally Ferrari's Restaurant / Club then Tito's. Happy days.

ads

Post by ads »

The maps I have still show the building as being there upto 84. I have a gap in my maps then until 2004 so can't tell when it really went. Wasn't an area I went to much, we used to colonise the park. Lismore close was well underway in 1999, with the Bowling Green Hotel / clubhouse being underneath 10 Lismore Close. The British Oak used to be the youth club, me and my mates had our first pints in there at about 15 years old, the landlord told us he knew who we were, how old we were, and to sit quietly in the corner and not make a nuisance of ourselves